Author Topic: Very dark blue buddlea  (Read 4054 times)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Very dark blue buddlea
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:21:55 »
Just spotted what I think is a Buddlea with an extremely dark flower  in a hedge.   How do (and when) I go about taking cuttings?  I hear it is very nearly a weed as it is so easily done ??? Cheers,   Tony.

" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Very dark blue buddlea
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 14:41:08 »
Out of my comfort zone here...
I'd take a non-flowering shoot. with a heel and take off the growing tip... pot up and keep damp...   :-\

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 14:52:43 »
hard wood cuttings do ok i have found a bout a pencil length may be a bit longer  take any flower  and leaves off in sert in  soil keep moist 
i don't belive death is the end

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 15:06:26 »
Could you keep an eye on it and collect seeds later, or are there ordinary purples around that would cross? Buddleia do grow very readily from seed.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 15:13:53 »
Could you keep an eye on it and collect seeds later, or are there ordinary purples around that would cross? Buddleia do grow very readily from seed.

seed would not come the same   ;)
i don't belive death is the end

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 21:25:53 »
Why not just toddle off to your local garden centre and buy Buddleia Black Knight. ;D
DaiT

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 13:07:29 »
If you keep using the 'b' word I'll wash your mouth out with soapy water.   ;D   
I'de like to try and grow it down the allotment to hide the area where everyone if an allotment holder or not dumps their  hedge cuttings, cabbage stalks and other dross.    Cheers,   Tony.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 13:23:04 »
I have an extremely dark purple one lovely.  Butterflies do not like it as much as the standard lilac colour.  I have tried getting it to seeds and they do not grow.   Anyway its dad would be a different colour. 

I could manage a cutting or two if you pm me.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 17:33:49 »

If I fail digeroo, you'll be the first to know.    Cheers,   Tony.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 20:43:57 »
I just shoved some buddleia  prunings in to act as stakes and they grew along with plants. They take a bit of stopping and seed all over. I know, I have everything from White to navy and now take evasive action on new arrivals. Along with the honeysuckle which thinks its about to take over the world. There are a lot of plant thugs out there.... ::)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 18:51:19 »
Oooo, are they that easy to take cuttings from???  Ive always loved the way these have attracted butterflies & ive wanted 1 for ages.  They seem to pop up on building sites left right & centre but i can never get to them :(  i shall try a cutting next time i see 1.

with a heel and take off the growing tip..

What do you mean "a heel"??
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:29:21 »
what is  meant when you take a cutting you pull away a small immature side shoot  as well  as     a  sliver of more mature wood along with the cutting plus a little of the bark = heel     this is what i do          if this is not right i stand corrected

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 23:05:52 »
Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Thats y i love this site so much, there is always somebody to answer all of your questions :) :)
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 14:03:03 »
Ive been very busy this week hunting down Buddleia's this week.  Not that it was very hard as they seem to be in flower everywhere except in my backgarden :( Ive got a lilac 1 from a monster bush in the fields, a white 1 from a deralict peterol station.  These two i have put in pots of compost & they look very sorry for themselves, i really hope they take.  the final 1 is from they twins nursery garden (i did ask 1st lol!) & its a dark purple 1, ive kept this 1 in a pint of water on the windowsill & it seems to be quite happy. 

I was wondering, i couldnt find any shoots that didnt have flowers on them.  Ive pinched the flowers out, will this effect the chances of them rooting & should i take the 1's out of the compost & see if they root in water??

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 20:42:00 »
They do root from cuttings very easily, so if you take several and stick them in a pot and keep them moist, you will almost certainly get at least one.

I'd never buy a buddleia unless it was a type I couldn't find growing 'wild' and get a cutting from. There are so many beautiful variations, all growing on demolished buildings, sticking out of walls, growing in the soil that gathers at the side of pavements... Every one seems slightly different, in flower size or colour, so they must be 'promiscuous' - I agree they wouldn't come true from seed.

The cuttings grow very fast too, so in a year you'll have a lovely big shrub and before you know it, a tree!

Maybe you could do what green lily did, and stick them straight in the ground at the lottie, to make a hedge?

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 22:34:31 »
I just wanted to share with you guys the good news

I think this is the white 1 & im really pleased :D. The 1 in the pot next to it doesnt seen to be doing aswell, think i may have to get another cutting of the lilac 1.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 21:08:26 »
good news- hope it keeps on doing well!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 09:10:39 »
Excellent!
Just as you did i toddled off and took some cuttings to. They are still alive but not really rooted well yet.

Its lovely being on a forum that stimulates mass gardening actions!
x sunloving

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 10:55:40 »
i have to come out of the cupboard and admit doing just that, as there is an fairly dark purple one near by not as  dark as i vie seen other places took 3 cutting got 2 growing in water would like a white one some time they are to cover up a messy corner that borders my Lotty  from the house  behind

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:16:03 »
Well luckily the cutting which isnt showing any sign of growth is off a bush only around the corner, i guess on hindsight i should have taken more than 1 sample.  but hey ho, you live & learn :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal