Author Topic: Say two interesting things about yourself during an interview....  (Read 37347 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
..... that's what my sister has been asked to come up with as part of her assessment this Friday.  HELP!

Whilst myself and anybody else who knows her can quite easily list some things we think are interesting, I know they are probing for things which might make others in the room lift their heads and want to ask a question!  Well, it's got us stumped! I'm also pretty sure they will be looking for answers that have nothing to do with the work place.

Myself being .... erm... let's say, a bit more creative with the truth, would be inclined to make up something colourful but I know she will not want to do that!

She's recently moved and is turning half of her little garden in growing her own produce and she also does walks for charity - are those things that others might find interesting, do you think?

Hmmm, you think you can come up with something quite easily but when you get down to it, it really isn't that easy at all.  Unless, of course, one has a really active life and belongs to many clubs, etc!  :)

Anyway, any suggestions much appreciated :)  Hope you're all well.

pumkinlover

I think those two suggestions sound good! :D

Some people only go shopping and watch televsion in their spare time ???

Mind you I have a hair on my left fore  arm that grows to about 2" - I think that  is the most interesting thing about me! Doubt if it would help me get a job though! ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 13:49:55 by pumpkinlover »

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Ask yourself what might interest the interview panel.  They are not there for a chat, they want to find the best candidate for the job. 

I suggest that your sister goes back to the job spec - what skills does she need to demonstrate; is it creativity, public speaking etc. Can she relate her interesting facts to the sector or job role in some way but without saying so.  How much money did she raise for charity? How did she go about getting sponsorship - was it out the ordinary.....

It could well be two random interesting facts but I would be surprised.

Good luck to your sister

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
"I could tell you 2 interesting things about me, but they're both the subject of superinjunctions. Next question"

she could pick up some tips on what to say from The Apprentice  :o

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
I have sat in on a lot of interviews and here are some thoughts:
1.Explain how your skills and experience are a perfect fit for the employer.
2.Show your potential employer that you are equipped to deal with any crisis situation that may arise.
3.Employers are looking for candidates with optimism and a "can-do" attitude. Attitudes are contagious and have a direct affect on company morale. Let the optimist in you shine during the interview process.
4.This is the chance for you to run down a 30-60 second sales pitch for yourself. The employer doesn't want to know that you like gardening or have four dogs.

Hope it all goes well for your sister. :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
SMP has hit the nail on the head, relate the "interesting things" to the job/duties,  but without going OTT (also best to stick to the truth). The voluntary work is always a good one to talk about - what motivates her to do it, what she does there, and maybe something light-hearted about it, i.e. why she thinks its interesting. Growing your own veg -  passionate about the environment, the food she eats, learning a new skill, feeding the family on the cheap (practical approach to life etc)

Good luck to your sis!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
I agree.  Employers and universities are looking for rounded people with a variety of interest and skills outside their work of studies to help them differentiate between candidates of otherwise equal experience and qualifications.

How and why she raised money for charity is interesting and shows initiative and community spirit.   Gardening would have to be pitched from the creative side and the commitment, organisation and skills needed to plan and prepare a garden to grow successful crops and/or plants.
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
Hmm..I think they are more after the response how one tackle questions like that. After all what I mind interesting about me most likely will be most boring thing for somebody else... :-X ::)
As long as she can come up 'smooth' answer with explanation why she thinks that  particular answer interesting. If one goes quiet for long time and struggles to provide something,,regardless of the outcome...it would look like that person is not creative or quick thinker enough.
Those who can keep 'conversation' going with reasonably intelligent base in their 'blabbering' will look good in any interview.. ;)
She might want to tell about her intrestingly boring hobbies and why she likes to do them.. ;) ;D
Is there any interesting factors how she became to start her hobbies? Does she do any 'wacky' things that maybe relevant to her work or how she aproach tasks (or have done in past)?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
 My daughter is a dedicated care worker, which is the interview she needs to come up with interesting answers, she just loves looking after seniors.  She does hillwalking, & lots of what we think interesting but she feels it would not be interesting enough.  She also helps out at charity days.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
well, the hill walking means she enjoys keeping fit and it provides a good balance to the stresses of life and work. Has she done any particular walks, famous? interesting? highs/lows? particular favourites and why

With the charity days, is it a special charity, local / national, something personal to her?

1066  :)

Mimi

• Quarter Acre
When asked a similar question at her interview for a Staff Nurse's post my daughter told them that she was a hooker in her spare time.... then went on to explain that she played for the local ladies rugby team.  I reckon that one got her the job.  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
Code: [Select]
she was a hooker in her spare time....    ;D..I wonder if the same description without rugby team would have resulted for a job.. :-X ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
If you are the best candidate for the job why have you to be interesting, you could be the most boring fart of all time in your personal life, the last two jobs I have been for out of thirtytwo and twentyfive candidates respectively, I was successful in both, just proves my point, ;D, ;D, ;)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
My daughter is a dedicated care worker, which is the interview she needs to come up with interesting answers, she just loves looking after seniors.  She does hillwalking, & lots of what we think interesting but she feels it would not be interesting enough.  She also helps out at charity days.

the only advice I can remember about personal interest at a job interview is - never say you like hill walking. No idea why. genuinely.

goodlife

• Hectare
never say you like hill walking. No idea why. genuinely  ;D I suppose you have to be stubborn, very determinate, liking personal challenges, possibly bit loner and not doing it in teams, liking to get away from it all, not been able to be in touch..etc, etc,
Don't sound very easy person to 'harnish' for every whim of the manegement.. ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I remember a similar question on an interview some years ago when asked about hobbies . I answered I have many but the one I find I benefit most from is by making 1"high,  23 piece teddy bears, then I knit sweaters for them on piano wire using sewing thread as yarn. I  casually showed them one on my key ring. I was asked whyI made them. I answered I find it isa  stress buster, it  increases my patience, it is extremely challenging and difficult and needs a meticulous attention to detail and I find that very satisfying.

I got the job.

Our head told me later they were pretty sure I had right kind of tenacity they needed for the job they were interviewing for.

When asked about any volunteer work I did, I told them about several I was involved with, again they asked me why. I simply said , well perhaps it is selfish it makes me feel very good.

Ther honest answer impressed them.

So you see, you never quite know what they are looking for. Just keep your answers simple, to the point and honest.

Good Luck.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
never say you like hill walking. No idea why. genuinely  ;D I suppose you have to be stubborn, very determinate, liking personal challenges, possibly bit loner and not doing it in teams, liking to get away from it all, not been able to be in touch..etc, etc,
Don't sound very easy person to 'harnish' for every whim of the manegement.. ::)

that's kind of what i thought, also the kind of person least likely to say - "don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footsteps on the Moon", which seems to go down well these days

bluecar

• Acre
I think the two ares identified are fine. The panel will be looking for the ability to identify two interesting things and then perhaps explore what she gets out of doing these things or why she thinks this is interesting. This could be as others have stated the spin off effects - relaxation from gardening; reducing the carbon footprint by growing your own; exercise (both facts); pride in raising money for others etc.

I hope this helps.

Bluecar

non-stick

• Half Acre
I also have to do a lot of interviews and on some of the recent training I've done it's been stressed that you need to be careful when asking questions (or indeed answering them) about personal interests, hobbies whatever to avoid any personal bias creeping in. Now before anyone leaps in, with the best will in the world trying to remain objective at all times is difficult and anything that panders to personal prejudice should be avoided.

One man's meat is another man's gravy and all that.

As regards the OP - difficult in many ways to work out what the person asking the question is trying to find out. I wander if they found it on "20 questions to ask at an interview".com. The trouble with answering a question like this is avoiding giving answers that could lead to further awkward questions.

Having said all this I agree with others try and link whatever facts are given to the job/duties in same way. I dunno something like " i played for a successful team and realised the importance of being a team player and preparation"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal