Author Topic: Sick of bl** dy CATS  (Read 24730 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Sick of bl** dy CATS
« on: April 25, 2011, 20:44:43 »
Last year because of a over population of cats in my area I had to but wire fencing and nets all around my flower boarders to keep the bloody things off my garden. Today I decided to take them away and dig my boarders ready for this years display , within half hour of being in the house I had three visits by the bloody things. I am sick to death of the things and feel that the law should be changed to make owners more responsible for their cats . Why should I have to have my garden used,as a cats toilet .
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Sick of bl** dy CATS
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 20:59:05 »
Time to use the old size 10's RK.   ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 21:01:32 »
Time to put the fencing back?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 19:10:24 »
Buy zoo poo,specifically lion poo, it is available online, is a great manure and the cats will not go near the ground as they can smell the lions

Noit kidding, look online,you don't need tons.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 19:26:01 »
Unfortunately it's difficult to be 'responsible' for a cat. When they're out, they are out. Agree about the Zoo poo, I have heard it works. Squirting with a water spray stops my cats too.
Smile, it confuses people.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 19:42:35 »
Unfortunately it's difficult to be 'responsible' for a cat. When they're out, they are out. Agree about the Zoo poo, I have heard it works. Squirting with a water spray stops my cats too.

I shall no doubt have to duck back behind the parapet but why keep the bloody things then? A neighbour of mine at my old househad way too many and as a consequence we had their "output" everywhere. When I put up extra fencing to keep them out I was told I was being petty! I found a super soaker the best - heard mixed reviews on lion poo and other chemical deterrants were useless

Less of a problem where I am now as the gardens are bigger and there seem to be less of them about

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 19:45:07 by non-stick »

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 20:08:15 »
Two suggestions, one a bit naughty though;

I get the wire coathangers from the dry cleaning, cut off the top bit, straighten it out and cut it into 3 bits.  I then place these strategically between and in front of the new plants. they don't actually hurt the cats but stop them doing their business ie 'they don't like it up em Mr Mannering".  REMEMBER TO WEAR GLOVES AT THE END OF THE SEASON AS YOU END UP SPIKING YOURSELF.

Squirt them with parafin instead of water. They then have to clean themselves and obviously don't like the taste.

Just thought of option 3...super soaker----- parafin--- and a lighter  :o

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 20:49:42 »
 Why would you want to cause any animal distress when it is totally uneccessary? Using paraffin is a dreadful thing to do. Water is sufficient.
Smile, it confuses people.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 20:54:23 »
Anybody who suggests harming animals is in serious need of psychiatric help.
DaiT

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 21:06:51 »
So much sympathy for the cats and their owners.....says it all about the way our country is heading.. what about those of us who have to put up with the constant damage and destruction of our plants?... how would they feel if we came along and s**t all over their gardens?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 21:14:48 »
I can think of No reason whatsoever that anyone would consider putting parafin on any animal. None. The now soaked cat goes home, sits too close to the fire and ... surely no one could condone this..it is truly evil.

I am sorry to be so blunt but I would be much more scared having someone who would do this to an animal as a neighbour than all the cats in the world.

Truly sick suggestion I would hope that our readers have much more sense than the writer and would not consider this.

I would like to think this was supposed to be a joke.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Urlybird

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 22:02:16 »
Get a pair of Spaniels, best cat detterent ever,

And 2 bonuses, the don't bury there poop, and it's a lot easier to pick up ;)
Somewhere, in the world, the sun is over the yardarm,

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 23:23:05 »
 Richard we have the problem with cats also >:(  we squirt them with water, keeps em away for a few days at a time.  After my daughter has been with her labrador he goes snooping about & barks at them we do not see them sometimes for about a week. ;D ;D ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 00:32:01 »
I suspect the key phrase in the original post is "flower boarders".

I'm not talking about spelling - I'm talking about the psychological difference between growing flowers and growing food.

I know it's going to be controversial but I very, very rarely encounter food-growers who don't have their feet firmly planted (ha!) on the ground - or even in it...

On the other hand I've encountered quite a few flower growers who are a few seeds short of a row - if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong - I've met lots of lovely people who are only interested in flowers - but there is a residual  minority who are operating at a distance from real life where appearances aren't just deceptive, they become an end in themselves.

The link between cause and effect has had its edges rubbed off by being viewed through flower-tinted spectacles.

Of course most people grow a bit of both (including myself) and see both sides.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

PS. Fruit growers especially seem to be the nicest people you could ever meet...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 07:03:23 »
What a dispiriting start to the day reading the repulsive suggestions from some of you particularly twochoices - protect young plants with sticks and a bit of a netting and never use anything more than water as a deterrant.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:02 »
Sometimes when I read about acts of cruelty such as setting fire to animals I wonder where these people come from.It seems that they are amongst us
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 08:12:23 »
Carrots in particular seem to be a problem I can guarantee that if I sow a row in the garden some cat will come and do in the middle of the row.  I think they are attracted by the smell of the seeds.  I put hawthorn twigs along the rows.

I throw windfall apples at the cats but I am a terrible shot and have not got anywhere near a cat yet.  It is more the noise when the apples hit the fence.  I have had more problems with cats dropping moles.

But on the lottie there are deer, squirrels, voles, mice, pigeons, rabbits ........ the cats pale into insignifcance.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 08:22:24 »
Some people are overlooking the best deterrent of all - get your own cat! Ours is great - chases away all the others & always pops next door for a poo.   ;D

We use rose prunings in "no dig" areas - works fine.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:35 »
I have managed to soak a few cats as they attempt to make an escape over the fence (I have buckets of water at the ready,  stationed at strategic points in the garden) and it's quite satisfying.

The paraffin thing was just a joke with a bit of venting - if we are talking stereotypes, you cat lovers don't even have a sense of humour about your pets.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 10:43:45 »
The neighbours on all three side of us have cats (we are on a corner so have neighbours at the end of the garden as well) and our garden is the scene of a vicious territory battle. I'm always squirting water to break up fights. We solved the poo problem by laying chicken wire just under the soil with the sharp bits pushed into the ground. The cats can't dig so they don't poo. They still spray on everything though can't do anything about that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal