Author Topic: the sowing thread  (Read 16482 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: the sowing thread
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2005, 23:22:23 »
STILL no yellow peppers >:( >:(  But did a tomato tally today and now have 11 roma toms, 12 Gardeners delight, 2 red alert, 9 Craigella, 2 golden sunrise. Also discovered some yellow pear that I'd forgotten I had so have sowed a couple of them too  :) Pricked out some lettuces, only to have a slug munch 7 of 24 overnight  >:( Another one of my aussie pumpkins surfaced too. Sowed another bunch of sweetcorn as well.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2005, 09:50:41 »
Had a busy weekend...

sowed indoors - another batch of three different types of dwarf french beans (yellow, green and purple ones), a second lot of sweetcorn (only half the first lot germinated), and some more french marigolds (one of the first lot popped up!)

Outside (in modules) - loads of different hardy periennials (including even more aquilegias!), some annual grass and other annual flowers, plus sunflowers (covered in fleece to protect against slugs).

Outside (in ground) - more radishes, beetroot, spring onions, pickling onions, leeks, more broad beans (my autumn sown ones have tiny beans on them and the spring sown ones are flowering already!!!), more carrots (that packet didn't go very far!) and I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

The carrots, pickling onions, radishes and rocket that I sowed outside two weeks ago seem to double in size every day over the weekend. I love this weather!
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2005, 22:19:25 »
Well finally things had to give, so on the plot today I planted out runners and climbing french beans - only half of each!  Celery, celeriac and lollo rosso lettuce.  Had a handful of onions sets left, so plugged all the gaps in the onion bed, dug up the last of the caulis and got another row of spuds in.  And on Tim and Lishkas advice, a nice big block of flat leaf parsley joined the curly wurly stuff today.  ;D

Tomorrow I shall be planted out all of my leeks, the last of the brassicas that are big enough, lettuce - alsorts and I think I will get my first 2 pumpkins in my mile high compost heap!  Ava went poo collecting for me at the weekend and now my compost heap is stacked high with very fresh horsey poop.  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2005, 22:46:14 »
Glad to hear of your poo pile is getting bigger. You can never have too much  ;D

You'll love that flat leaf parsley - it's fab  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2005, 22:50:55 »
yesterday, sowed spring onions and a different variety of peppers indoors. two types of radishes outdoors.

today sowed leeks indoors.

not done much this weekend so far as we had guests.
i have checked on my sowings from two weeks ago:

beans: only the dark beans seem to have budged at all, only to be eaten by something - slugs? the two white varieties have not made any move at all. i may carefully remove some earth tomorrow to see if they are still there.... might resow some too. i am trying not to have to do them indoors, as i havent got any space.

scorzonera: some seeds seem to have germinated, but no plants visible yet.

herbs: chives starting to show whisps, no coriander, no parsley.

parsnips: nothing so far as far as i can see. how long should they take?

overall, i am a bit disappointed. i did spend two hours sowing that weekend, and got nothing to show for it just yet.....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2005, 22:53:27 »
It's really cold though so I'm not surprised that seedlings are keeping their heads down  :(

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2005, 23:36:44 »
My runner beans - sown just over a week ago, are starting to pop up.  ;D ;D ;D Yay - my fave crop!

Not outdoors, mind, in cells in the greenhouse. I find they do better started off this way.

Sunflowers too, sown at the same time (day) are nealy all up.

Oh and surprise, surprise, the tomato seeds I'd all but given up on have now started to germinate too. Typical! Still a few later ones wont go amiss.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2005, 06:34:46 »
Bright idea??

When you label you seed trays, add the expected germination date & you won't keep hassling the poor things!

Germination times can be found in many places - inc the 'Doctor's' book!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2005, 09:46:55 »
My sweetcorn and beans are now popping up. And loads of the things I sowed outside are too.

But the rocquencroft beans have all rotted. bizarre - exactly the same conditions are the others. Thiis is the second batch I've lost.

My toms are still tiny. I'm getting VERY concerned now. I've even started feeding them in desperation.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2005, 11:15:43 »
I would say no, no!!

If they're in seed or potting compost, that's enough!

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2005, 11:29:31 »

sowed 36 beans in paper pots (!!) as was disappointed with results outdoors - some of the beans had been eaten/attacked by bean seed fly, i think. this morning two beans from the outside lot were actually up, but it doesnt matter, i think i will have lost almost all of the outdoor sowing so will plant these out when a decent size (when would that be, people?)

also sowed indoors parsley, chives, coriander

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2005, 12:06:32 »
sowed red cabbage seeds and red brussels seeds in modules yesterday.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2005, 13:14:29 »
This weekend I:

Pricked out all the brassicas I have to date - greyhound cabbage, normal and red brussells sprouts, and sprouting broc.

Potted up a few toms in to bigger pots, where I had pots.

Sowed some dwarf beans - Hildora (yellow) and purple teepee (thanks DP :))

Sowed marina de choggia and blue hubbard squash.

Lettuce that I sowed to replace the slug-munched ones are germinating too  ;D (also think i found the slug responsible! He was as fat as my index finger, blergh  :-X)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2005, 13:18:57 »
Tim - really? But they are so tiny. How will they ever grow to planting out size in two weeks? Some only have one set of true leaves. They are normally about 1ft tall by this point. oh panic!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2005, 17:17:33 »
Aqui - I have to say that things are being depressingly slow this year.
I thought it might be the new compost we're using. Pity, because it handles so beautifully. But we'll get there in the end!

As to fertiliser my thoughts are that, if the plants are not growing, they are not taking up & transpiring moisture & thus could not take up any more fertiliser than they have in the compost. That probably doesn't make technical sense, but it'll have to do for now!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2005, 22:29:14 »
This weekend I planted out my cues, gherkins, pumpkins and Marina de Choggia squash. Did my baby sweetcorn last weekend.
Aqui, our toms must be twins! Mine are still indoors on the windowsill and although healthy enough, are very small.
Here in central LondonĀ  it's been deadly dull for most of the last fortnight which I'm beginning to suspect is the cause - not enough bright light. I might just put them outside in the mini-g as it hasn't been too cold lately. I wouldn't mind the clouds if they opened up a bit more often - my clay soil is cracking up again... and I know the feeling ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2005, 09:57:02 »
Oh that's interesting Tim. I didn't realise. WIll stop feeding them and learn to be more patient. (I think it's after the blight disaster last year, I really want the toms to do well this year!)

Amazin - I'm in outer london. a few of my toms have been out for a little while (under protection) and seem to be doing fine. The temperature hasn't gone below 2C in ages and we haven't had frost for a month (touch wood!) And where does that rain go? My soil is so dry and I was running round the strawberry pots with a watering can this morning as they were wilting! (It rained YESTERDAY!)

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2005, 10:21:35 »
amazin,
i am in central london too and can't complain about the weather at all.
my toms have been out on my balcony for about three weeks now as they were growing too fast for my liking indoors - didnt want them spindly. they have done well, even though a few leaves here and there seem to either have a little cold damage, or scorch damage. all looking healthy. protecttion? these plants have one of two choices with me - luckily they prefer to be alive ;)

on the sowing front:
sowed sweetpeas this morning i got in a trade :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2005, 10:33:45 »
Reading all your posts it looks like one or two of us are sowing Marinas.  Mine have not begun to break the compost year but fingers crossed.    :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2005, 14:53:38 »
i now have nearly 30 runner beans germinated and growing. Hurrah!!

Some of my other seeds, sown indoors are now coming up too - a little late than never, and seemingly all around the edge of the pots they were sown in. ::)

Never mind at least they are up and growing. Soon have to start transplanting them. Fun fun fun!  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal