Author Topic: How to get an allotment  (Read 3649 times)

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
How to get an allotment
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:55 »
Although the whole point of being on this forum is that you've got an allotment, I suspect some readers may be trying to find out how to get their first plot.

As Secretary of our local Allotment Association I've been involved in a few battles with the Town Council, and like many allotments we've got a huge waiting list. Thought it might help some readers if I shared some thoughts on how to get an allotment, which allotment to choose and how to get the council to provide allotments if there aren't enough.

I'd be interested in suggestions for additional content. If you think I've missed anything just let me know.

To read the content click the link below. Thanks, John

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-get-allotment.html
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: How to get an allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:04:35 »
I am not convinced that Local Authorities have to provide allotments.  Seems they have to try to provide them and here they have been trying off and on for 30 years.   Very trying.

We are lucky to have reasonably priced private ones.  I think would be nice if more farmers could move into this as another income stream.

A lot of people on the forum have garden allotments ie they grow veg in their own gardens, or have a few veggie tubs. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:19 »
No they do have to provide them by law but there is no time limit in the legislation so they can claim to have been trying for 30 years... amazing how quickly they could manage it when WW2 broke out though..  ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:00:58 »
But now much of that space has reverted to open spaces.  Many of them were still there when I was a child.  But it is much more important to provide free spaces to cover in dog doo!  Also though, they were not fenced-in in those days, people did not seem to loose crops through theft.   

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 19:20:00 »
In those days you probably knew your neighbours. We certainly did when I was a kid. We knew who could be trusted and who couldn't, people weren't so mobile, and if there was a theft, the police could usually work out who it was. These days we don't know who's around, there's no community, we've had a generation of dog eat dog political philosophy, and the old inhibitions have broken down.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 20:57:00 »
John - nice site and I think it covers the main points.

Here's a challenge to any one in Isleworth or the surrounding area who would like to grow their own.  We don't have any full or half sized plots left, but we have created some starter plots, somewhere between 4m wide and 5m long (some are a bit smaller) This is part of the Community gardening club, so there are also shared areas - shed, container (when we get it) mini orchard (when you plant it) fruit cage (when.....) and maybe a polytunnel (when...)

I have advertised on Landshare and the London allotments forum and nothing and only one commited person from the group of 10 last year - so I'm beginning to wonder if there really is a demand for plots - as opposed to the dinner party chat of being 40th on the waiting list.......

Go on prove me wrong - PM me and you could be digging by next weekend!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal