Author Topic: Your views please  (Read 12340 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Your views please
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 23:15:25 »
As theft is the illegally taking of another person's property; it is implied in the use of the term 'theft'.
The gramatical error in the sentence is a hanging antecedent, so like DJB says, we know what it's meant to mean, but that's not what the words say, and in a contract it's what the words say that count.  As it's not in plain english the term is unenforceable.

And you shouldn't seperate a dependent clause with a semi colon.  And you shouldn't start a sentance with a conjunction.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 23:19:31 »
"Animals or livestock must not be kept on site, with the exception of hens or rabbits and then, only with the permission of the Council or its managing agent"

You have a legal right under The Allotment Act 1950....an act passed by Parliament...to have hens and rabbits on your allotment and the Council can not do anything about it....they cannot pass byelaws on an act passed by Parliament either!
You're absolutely right, and because the landlord has gone further than permitted by statute there's a strong argument to suggest that the term itself is unfair under UTCCR 1999, with the result that the rule couldn't even be used to stop someone keeping a pig on their plot.

It really pays to draft rules cautiously.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 08:25:40 »
Another thought- Council run allotments may feel they need more detailed rules than self-managed because the council officers are not there on a regular basis. Self-managed sites have a committee who are known to everyone and are there on a regular basis. 

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 21:42:53 »
Thank you all - I am having a chuckle to myself....

As a site sec; I have been going on about having clear guildelines about cultivation and non-cultivation and what will happen and within what timescale if cultivation standards are not met.  That has still been fudged and we are left with this grammatical pile of nonsense (sigh)

No wonder I am throwing in the non bleached, organic hand woven towel at the next AGM ;D ;D

Borlotti with regard to ponds and children - I'm fairly certain that there is an implied term that small children as well as dogs should be kept on a lead!  The only children that run riot on our site are the uninvited sort and if they fell into a pond............

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:22 »

And you shouldn't seperate a dependent clause with a semi colon.  And you shouldn't start a sentance with a conjunction.

Jeez. You are telling me off for starting a sentence with a conjunction by starting 2 off with....conjunctions.

And you shouldn't spell sentence sentance - you should spell it correctly.

And you shouldn't spell separate seperate, you should spell it correctly.

Otherwise, surely with two spelling mistakes and so many grammatical errors, people aren't going to know what you mean.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 09:35:25 »
And you shouldn't seperate a dependent clause with a semi colon.  And you shouldn't start a sentance with a conjunction.
Jeez. You are telling me off for starting a sentence with a conjunction by starting 2 off with....conjunctions.
;)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 12:28:12 »
Current thinking is that in some circumstances conjunctions can be used to start a sentence if it adds emphasis. And that there need only be one space between sentences.

I am waiting for the day when they say we should type/write letters like the younger generations text.  Cor blimey!!

How many mis-understandings will there be then!

Bill

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 08:56:18 »
Come on forum let's create some more rules...I'll start it off.

WHEELBARROWS MUST NOT SQUEEK.

My wheel barrow is crying out for a drop of oil, and squeeks like mad.  I'm not sure whether it should be a notice to quit or a warning offence though?

Nodig

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 09:06:49 »
As theft is the illegally taking of another person's property; it is implied in the use of the term 'theft'.
The gramatical error in the sentence is a hanging antecedent,

**** me, you had a tough English teacher

picman

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 09:13:30 »
I will read the said rules later ,  was there anything in there about weed spraying , my ******** next plotholder did it and killed my sweetcorn a couple of years ago, also width of path needs rules,  personally i think dogs should at best tethered , best left at home , kids also.. ;)

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 09:18:44 »
The gramatical error in the sentence is a hanging antecedent,

Google is your friend :D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 10:49:20 »
The rule doesn't make sense.  What counts in a legal document is what the words say, not what the writer says they say.  If you're going to write a tenancy agreement or site rules you need a competent grasp of grammar.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 17:08:56 »
Come on forum let's create some more rules...I'll start it off.

WHEELBARROWS MUST NOT SQUEEK.

My wheel barrow is crying out for a drop of oil, and squeeks like mad.  I'm not sure whether it should be a notice to quit or a warning offence though?

Nodig

Leave it under Kev's car. That should oil it up a treat.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 17:42:22 »
I would like a few rules, no dogs do for a start.  As for interpretting rules, no hosepipes seems to mean very different things to different people.   

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 10:29:15 »
I wouldn't mind that rule about children
Children must be accompanied at all times by an adult and not allowed to go onto adjacent plots
I want to be weeding not entertaining some one else's child.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 11:26:40 »
We have as few rules as we can get away with - dont really understand the need for endless rules.
If it doesnt fit on a page of A4 then you have too many rules  ;)

As for children on a plot - personally I love to see it.  We have plenty of young uns and they are well looked after by the parents and get very involved!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal