Author Topic: My Tomato list 2011  (Read 7470 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: My Tomato list 2011
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 14:14:36 »
I like look of those dark egg shaped ones...and the red pepper look alikes..and those perfect red beauties next to white wonder/great white?
And..what's those white round ones on front..they look good too.. ::) ::)...they all look lovely and edible ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 14:35:02 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 14:20:06 »
pumpkinlover....not boring at all..
Have you grown Elaine's mystery before?...is it proper name for variety or jself named mystery variety..? What is it like?

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 15:00:29 »
My friend brought it back from a foreign holiday and I was amazed how good it  was, not grown it for a few years so will do some this year and if viable seed will save some to swop!  I seem to remember largish toms-not a plum, but tasty.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 15:16:20 »
I think the "blacks" have the best taste of all Anne.... but I'm very fond of Green ones and white ones...
BTW don't grow "Broad Ripple Yellow Currant" in a greenhouse (the plants are too bushy) and they will cross with your other varieties... potato leaf ones are also prone to crossing...  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 18:02:26 »
Yeah, I learned the hard way about currant varieties too....they were very bushy and went EVERYWHERE and I found seedlings growing all over the place the next year where I'd missed a few and they had rolled off to goodness knows where! ::)

I usually grow only one plant per variety, in two greenhouses; one at home, one (at the moment) at the lotttie. I grow mine in raised pots on top of growbags, three per bag, and don't take any precautions to avoid cross pollination, it doesn't seem to have been a problem so far. I try and find the time to keep on top of feeding etc, usually use Sunday as a 'pinch out and feed' reminder day. And yes, it is very addictive! I am getting my tomato seeds sown tomorrow, I had thought
I was doing rather well in limiting myself this year, but then Jeannines' seed parcel came along and then the HSL seeds arrived, who wants to have a guestimate how many different varieties I will end up narrowing it down to tomorrow?! ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 18:36:45 »
Thanks for advice David.

I've planted the seeds - tried to put about 4-5 in each pot. 

OH thinks you should grow one variety - Gardener's Delight. Good job he doesn't know about you guys.

Still got a wardrobe base full of bottled toms from last year- what do you do with yours?
I usually grow plenty of plants about 30 but they have tended to be only 2-3 varieties- so there is room for variety expansion.
I always grow in GH as if I put a tom outside we get blight, sort of superstitious about it now!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 18:52:51 »
Chop and heat into slop, with or without basil... use as a pasta base or anywhere you would use tinned tomatoes...  :)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:35 »
This is what i have sown the last few days;Green bush italiaan
                                                             T.C.jones
                                                             canadian dwarf
                                                             Stor gul
                                                             Nepal
                                                             Manitoba
                                                             Red star
                                                             Giant raspberry
                                                             mountain princess
                                                             Chennai from india
                                                             skorospelka
                                                             Corsar
                                                             Gloire de france
                                                             Hawaiian pineapple
                                                             Delhi also from india
                                                             San marzano
                                                             Bulgarian nr7
                                                             Baby beefsteak
                                                             Porkchop
                                                             Butter and bullheart
That will be it for now,but you never know.Must be thinking about a second tunnel?
 ;D ;D ;D 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 10:52:24 »
Ruud...Are you starting Atkins diet?...pork chops, beefsteak, butter and bullheart..are you sure its not your shopping list..did you get it mixed up? ;D ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:55:45 by goodlife »

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 12:55:18 »
What wouldn't I give for another polytunnel or six...  ;D

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2011, 16:08:21 »
Sown these this year. Thai Pink Egg, Green Grape & Ildi are my favs. they never reach home.

Blizzard , Wapsipinicon, Thai Pink Egg, Wild Pear, Gallapagos, Lemon Tree, White Beauty, Snow White, Cream Sausage, Ildi, Green Grape, Eva Purple Ball, Green Zebra, Moonglow, Gold Nugget, Brown Berry, Orange Banana, Black Master, Sun Dried, Garden Pearl, Alicante, Moneymaker, Cosfior, De Colgar, Alaskan Fancy, Sub-Arctic Plenty , Koralik, Gardeners Delight, Black Cherry, Reisetomate, Latah, Micro Tom, Wild Tomato, Wild Peruvian,  Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge, White Tomesol, Balconi Yellow, Balconi Red, Purple Ukraine, Black Russian, Potirion Ecalarte, Garden Pearl, Roma

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2011, 16:15:36 »

Must not read.........must not read, i'll only want more  :'(

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2011, 17:51:35 »
Go on... you know you want to  ;D

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 22:22:20 »
I am getting old goodlife it was my shopping list ;D ;D ;D.Saddad you never have enough of it,not enough space not enough polytunnels not enough seed but enough hungry mouth to feat ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bappelbe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:47 »
Hi
I have sown Stupice, Brandywine, Black Cherry, Costluto F and Sungella, my mother has Maramande and Gardners Delight (we will share the seedlings)

One question for those who have huge quantities, what space do you give them?
I have a 18ft polytunnel, half of which (1 row lengthways) goes to tomatoes, is there a spacing trick to fit more in?

Bill

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2011, 09:41:36 »
Do you have 4' vertical sides? If so you should get a staggered double row in... We grow most in a 12' greenhouse and the border takes about 12 bottomless pots... (one side... we have peppers on the other side)  :)

bappelbe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 10:04:42 »
Hi
I don't have 4ft vertical sides but I think that with some adjustment to my tomato support srtucture I might manage a staggered double row as the sides are steep.
I might also look at a row in the centre of the tunnel, how far apart would rows have to be? They would probably shade each other.

(my engineering brain is working - this could be dangerous ;))

Bill

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 10:08:19 »
We put them in Florist buckets and have about 6" between the rims.. so the plants are about 2' apart.  :)
They don't tend to shade each other if they are kept as cordons. Some of the very vigerous ones can touch leaves across the gap which needs watching as it can encourage botrys and the spread of other lurgies...  :-X

pumkinlover

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 13:12:10 »
We put them in Florist buckets and have about 6" between the rims.. so the plants are about 2' apart.  :)
They don't tend to shade each other if they are kept as cordons. Some of the very vigerous ones can touch leaves across the gap which needs watching as it can encourage botrys and the spread of other lurgies...  :-X

Any advice on use of cordon's please. I always grew all varieties as cordons, then last year decided to start growing bush (determinate?) as bush and cordon (indeterminate) as cordons.  Not always sure which varieties are which (and whether I've got it the right way  round! :-\)

However when I couldn't get in the greenhouse, I got pruning!

still ended up with great crop- got loads bottled left, but would like to know what you guys say. Do you check each variety and grow each as type or do you cordon everything to make sure enough room and prevent botrytis.

Also pleeeaaase stop this listing- I feel like a tomato inadequate now!!! Never realised there were so many varieties :-[

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 14:09:57 »
Pumpkinlover..I read from somewhere that there is about 5000+ varieties in circulation..so we've got still long way to go..and thinking of that lot I do feel inadequate.. ;D..heaven help us.. ::)
Yes..I do keep each varieties in check and grow cordons as such and bush types as bush..it does involve careful labeling though..one just cannot remember which is which.
If you grow bush type as cordon you do still get some fruit but not as much, and growing cordon as bush will over take whole greenhouse..it will trail everywhere..
When you shop for your seeds..determinate is bush..semi-determinate grows into large bush but because of it being large it can be grown as small cordon too, it's sort of in between type. Indeterminate is cordon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal