Author Topic: Blood spots in eggs???  (Read 2107 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
Blood spots in eggs???
« on: February 14, 2011, 17:59:55 »
Hi all,
Can anyone help, I have 2 hens who are I suppose getting on a bit! (3yrs) and who havent laid much over winter (who can blame them!) however I am getting one egg a day now, not sure if one is laying every day or if they are alternating!! But when I came to use an egg yesterday it had a large blood lump in it, I wasnt sure if it was edible so I threw it, the next one was the same but the blood was more spread out and again todays egg had a small spot in it. 

Does anyone know if this is a serious problem, and if the eggs are ok?
Thank you
You always love your children more than they love you...

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Blood spots in eggs???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 18:14:02 »
Blood spots...also called meat spots..yes they are ok and happens often..eggs are perfectly eatable although looks bit yacky.
You don't see these things in shop eggs as all commercially sold eggs are candled..and any eggs with dark bits inside are removed from production line ang goes into food processing use.
My chickens have layed some eggs with these spot this winter..but now is getting less and less..
No worries... ;)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:38:01 »
Like goodlife says they are fine to eat, but if it puts you off, get a pan of boiling water and drop the egg in and let it boil let it cool down and chop it up and feed it back to the girls. they will love it recycle them dont bin them.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 14:06:10 »
I always thought a blood spot signified that the egg had been fertilized - but by the sounds of it you do not have a rooster in with your ladies??

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 16:40:54 »
I always thought a blood spot signified that the egg had been fertilized - but by the sounds of it you do not have a rooster in with your ladies??

Jitterbug

Hi there - Blood spots are actually not related to fertilization.  They are just one of those things which happen. 

It seems to occur more often in tinted and brown eggs because it is a "thickening" of the white of the egg, which in white shelled eggs is still there, but is white, whereas in brown shelled eggs is brown.

If you want to check out fertilization of eggs in a little more detail, I have a page on my Dark Brown Eggs site - Fertile Eggs

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal