Author Topic: Our pavilion was broken into last night  (Read 22917 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Our pavilion was broken into last night
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 19:04:25 »
Really, I would not let this put you off having an honesty fund for tea/coffee etc but maybe there is a better way of doing it? Obviously the thieves are wise to the fact that money is kept there, maybe the last person to go at night could take the box and hide it somewhere? I know this sounds daft but that could be in your loos (if you have one) or a disused shed, or something. Somewhere where it will not be obvious. It's a thought anyway.
Otherwise you could have a set day for putting in a few quid and that money could be kept by one of the plotholders?

You know, on our plot there are sometimes communal events like an afternoon tea etc (I personally am not too involved as the folk there are a lot older than me and I think I am a bit of a freak show to them, being a foreigner, also my hubbie does not like that sort of thing so I don't really go by myself), but there is nothing left that could be stolen, except a few old cups and glasses. People do not bring tea etc to the lots and the only people who drink are the few old boys who get stuck into the cheap red around lunchtime.  I envy the communal spirit  that you seem to have and to use an old adag, "don't let the *fatherless children* grind you down". Don't let them change your habits, but do be more careful with leaving cash about...

Good luck.

Good idea about someone hiding the money - I am usually only there in the mornings but I could ask Ken, the cat man if he would look after it because he stays
till quite late.

He is also keeping some of the cat food hidden in his shed and I will keep the rest in my car.  It's a shame it's come to this but it could be worse.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2011, 19:24:43 »
Really sorry Betty I didn't see your reply yesterday I would have gone and taken it's photo today.  But, will go down there tomorrow and take it for you.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:33 »
Really feel for you and shame you can't fight back. I know everyone knocks the police but it must be dispiriting for them knowing that even if they catch the b's they won't get any sort of real punishment. Find myself thinking of delicious payback ways like a booby trap that dumped a pile of fresh stinking manure on them when they broke in - if only.
More realistically perhaps you could keep your cat food in something innocent looking like a compost bin close by. And it might be legal to keep some dummy goodies on display - like a tin of biscuits with ground up senna pods in them and an opened bottle of wine heavily laced with the very hottest of chillis (nasty but not poisonous) - you could label them as 'Bill's biscuits' or something so noone else had by mistake - at least that would be a sort of retribution if the low life come back.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 15:50:07 »
Sorry if I have got it wrong, but aren't you the one with the scarecrows that look like real people.  If I broke into your shed, I would be so scared, just sit a few on seats near the door and paint them with luminous paint.  ;D  Maybe put a gun in one of their hands, but suppose that is illegal.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 16:21:28 »
Hi Betty, I've been away for a few days and am just catching up. What a terrible mess, but on the bright side you do sound like you have some wonderful plot holders to help sort it out, along side some great practical advice from folks on here  :)

Hope things get back to normal soon

10  ;)

ps. One of the best ways to get some attention is to make a complaint (in writing - bet there is an email addy on the local police site) about the no-show of the police ;)  :-X

Squash64

• Hectare
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2011, 16:32:57 »
Really feel for you and shame you can't fight back. I know everyone knocks the police but it must be dispiriting for them knowing that even if they catch the b's they won't get any sort of real punishment. Find myself thinking of delicious payback ways like a booby trap that dumped a pile of fresh stinking manure on them when they broke in - if only.
More realistically perhaps you could keep your cat food in something innocent looking like a compost bin close by. And it might be legal to keep some dummy goodies on display - like a tin of biscuits with ground up senna pods in them and an opened bottle of wine heavily laced with the very hottest of chillis (nasty but not poisonous) - you could label them as 'Bill's biscuits' or something so noone else had by mistake - at least that would be a sort of retribution if the low life come back.

I think we've got to the stage now where we don't actually expect the police to ever catch allotment thieves.  And as you say, there is no real punishment even if they do.
I'm keeping the cat food in my car now, just leaving enough for the day in the pavilion.
Senna pod biscuits - mmmm, nice! :D
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2011, 16:39:38 »
Sorry if I have got it wrong, but aren't you the one with the scarecrows that look like real people.  If I broke into your shed, I would be so scared, just sit a few on seats near the door and paint them with luminous paint.  ;D  Maybe put a gun in one of their hands, but suppose that is illegal.

That's a good idea!
This one isn't mine, but he would scare anyone off

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2011, 16:44:16 »
Hi Betty, I've been away for a few days and am just catching up. What a terrible mess, but on the bright side you do sound like you have some wonderful plot holders to help sort it out, along side some great practical advice from folks on here  :)

Hope things get back to normal soon

10  ;)

ps. One of the best ways to get some attention is to make a complaint (in writing - bet there is an email addy on the local police site) about the no-show of the police ;)  :-X

Yes Ten, people have been amazing.  We have had lots of offers of help, and of cat food! 

Good idea to email the local police, I will do that now.

(Did you go somewhere nice?)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 18:01:03 »
Yes, I've been in france, but it's lovely to be home again planning what to grow on the allotment.

I find a letter to the chief honcho (of whatever organisation / company) works a treat, had a right problem with Vodafone, got hold of the name of the chief exec and hey presto, problem sorted  :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 18:53:03 »
That scarecrow would scare me, especially in the dark.

colt

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2011, 22:03:24 »
So sorry to hear about the break in guys. If you want some kind of deterent try these.

http://www.airsoftworld.net/pyrotechnics/blank-firing-devices/alarm-trip-mine-12g.html

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 10:20:41 »
I just phoned the police and spoke to a very nice lady.  She said our incident had accidentally been added to another totally unrelated one and as that one had been dealt with, ours had also been closed.

Anyway, after she'd finished apologising, she said that the police would come and see me at 4 this afternoon.

I'll let you know what they say.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

picman

• Acre
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:15 »
Break-ins and vandalism are a big concern , we have started to look into remote alarm systems . This can be something as simple as a bell ringing in a nearby house(s), to calling a list of mobile phone numbers.   

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2011, 11:10:08 »
Mindless vandalism is just sad and pointless. but i do wonder how long it will be before crops start disappearing in large quantity,s due to escalating prices.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:03 »
Rather like that alarm trip gadget

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2011, 13:20:05 »
So sorry to hear about the break in guys. If you want some kind of deterent try these.

http://www.airsoftworld.net/pyrotechnics/blank-firing-devices/alarm-trip-mine-12g.html

Thanks for that, it looks........er.........interesting!   :o

Have you ever seen one?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2011, 13:29:25 »

Thanks for that, it looks........er.........interesting!   :o

Have you ever seen one?

I agree it looks interesting, is it legal!! :-\

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2011, 13:37:05 »
I just phoned the police and spoke to a very nice lady.  She said our incident had accidentally been added to another totally unrelated one and as that one had been dealt with, ours had also been closed.

Anyway, after she'd finished apologising, she said that the police would come and see me at 4 this afternoon.

I'll let you know what they say.
I have heard some excuses in my time ..........................  ;D

If it finally gets the police out, it will be better late than never!  Ask them for detailled advice how to make yourself less vunerable to this sort of thing.  I hope they will do their job thoroughly.     

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2011, 13:47:44 »
Mindless vandalism is just sad and pointless. but i do wonder how long it will be before crops start disappearing in large quantity,s due to escalating prices.
I was thinking the same last evening. Not long, I fear.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal