Author Topic: The Magic of Spring - Has it started for you yet?  (Read 7167 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: The Magic of Spring - Has it started for you yet?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 16:02:35 »
The first yellow crocus is open and I'm sure I saw something move in the pond ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 18:40:10 »
Loads of snowdrops around now, lovely crocus and lots of daffodil shoots at Temple Newsam in Leeds this afternoon, and I've started my potatoes chitting. It's nearly here!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 14:41:07 »
It was a nice warm springlike day yesterday, with the bees flying freely, but today it's colder and miserable.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 12:06:22 »
Cold and miserable here too... but I've succumbed and put some Aquadulce to soak ready to plant later..  ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 12:27:49 »
Its nice to think that spring is on its way.   The snow drops are lovely and the forsythia is almost there another sunny day and it will open up.  Daffs also nearly there, but I am not convinced we have finished with winter yet.

Sowed some broccolli in pots on windowsill and some carrots under plastic bottles.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 09:53:27 »
Well all my broad beans are in the ground, staked and have one or two leaves up  :)  The Rhubarb has a two inch stem with a leaf but the gloomy clouds and icy feel to the air are still here.

Just goes to show that although still winter, how happy things get with a blast of sunshine

Plot6b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 16:43:18 »
Cold and dark here but at least the plum tree is showing signs of comming into bud :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 16:47:57 »
Seen crocuses around and even a few daffs. No flowers on trees yet but surely can't be long. It was 13deg C here today :-)

I will start chitting early potatoes this weekend and plant my echalotes and a last lot of garlic.
Aubergines and peppers and leeks are started off in pots on the windowsill (actually on top of the piano...!)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 17:24:50 »
The flower buds on my Cambridge Gage are just beginning to swell a little.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 17:49:20 »
Oooh, I'll have to check mine on Monday... dark now and I'm going away..  ::)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 17:50:08 »
Yes but disappointingly my first snowdrop flowered in September. The rest having been flowering since mid January. Crocuses are flowering. Gooseberry is coming into leaf...and some raspberries. Damson buds are swelling and the blackcurrants are close to bursting.
I also know it's spring because a muscle in my back is in spasm...shifting wood chip!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 17:50:47 »
Three daffodils.  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 17:52:43 »
Yesterday I noticed the flower buds forming on the hellebores in the garden  :)

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 18:10:56 »
The snowdrops on the bank in our allotment wildlife area seem to be earlier than last year - perhaps its because we had the cold snap in early December and then January was reasonably mild.  They've made huge clumps this year so will divide them up - most came from my garden at home but they didn't do very well so they are much better on the allotment for all to see
Lots of frogs about (so the crows are having a feast!) but no spawn so far

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 18:20:45 »
I have a mass of violets in flower on the rockery, all the crocus are out, & the daffodills are showing colour.
Something (no fish) is obviously moving in the pond as one of my cats has spent all day on her rock peering in to it.

montbrayon

• Not So New ...
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 19:25:10 »
Primroses flowering at the sides of the plot, daffodils nearly open, perhaps tomorrow they will be open fully!  :)

Loads of snowdrops at the side of the roads, must be nearly here now!  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 19:45:06 »
Yes but disappointingly my first snowdrop flowered in September. The rest having been flowering since mid January.

Why is that disappointing? There's a species - expensive - that regularly  flowers in autumn. Wish I could afford some!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 14:13:34 »
Yes but disappointingly my first snowdrop flowered in September. The rest having been flowering since mid January.

Why is that disappointing? There's a species - expensive - that regularly  flowers in autumn. Wish I could afford some!

It's just not as exciting to have 'spring' flowers arrive so early and flower continuously as well (I've had snow drops in flower most of winter), it ruins the surprise.
It wasn't anything special as far as I'm aware I bought it in the green as just one of the most common forms. Though next year I'll have a closer look and check it's not a different more special variety.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 19:36:01 »
You must have had a much warmer winter than we have! Everything was frozen hard for several weeks before Christmas, and the snowdrops didn't emerge till mid-January.

Bubbly Berry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 09:52:34 »
Found one lonesome snowdrop in the garden but my hellebores look beautiful, noticed the mornings are getting lighter and the evenings are drawing out. started sowing few seeds, tomatoes, lupins, chilles, in the spare room. Bought few wilkos petunis plug plants and potted those on - early i know but couldnt resist.
off work at mo as have pulled muscle in my back so looking out at my garden is as near as i can get - think id get stuck in the car if i tried diving to lottie :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal