Author Topic: Urine for compost: practicalities of collection  (Read 9048 times)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
Urine for compost: practicalities of collection
« on: January 04, 2011, 16:55:27 »
Having searched the forum I can see that quite a few members use their urine (or Human Liquid Waste as I've seen it referred to) as a compost activator.

I just wondered about the practicalities of collection without leaving a trail of carpet stains in the bathroom and less than desirable aromas.

So how do you go about your collection? Use a child's potty in the lav pan & pour into a bucket with a lid? Does this lead to stains around the bucket? How often do you empty before it smells?

Any advice from male & female collectors appreciated!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Urine for compost: practicalities of collection
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 16:58:20 »
Wee into a jam jar in the shed.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 17:06:20 »
Being a man and having a nice big hedge around my plot and depending on the direction of the wind, I am able to apply the liquid direct, fresh from source.

Ladies, by definition, would not however ever dream of this method.  Could you purchase a comode or use a funnel in the shed if you have one?  Not sure I would want to bottle at home.

You could always source from neibouring plot holders but thats not desirable either is it?

Sorry, not much help am I?  ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 17:09:21 »
 ;D I dont think anyone would want you to save every single drop  ;D
as unwashed says,use a jar/bucket in your shed or some other discreet place when youre at your plot/in your garden
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 17:38:58 »
'bucket and chuck it '  ;D

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 17:53:30 »
thats how they made  salt petre for gun powder in the past

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 18:00:38 »
Being a man and having a nice big hedge around my plot and depending on the direction of the wind, I am able to apply the liquid direct, fresh from source.

Ladies, by definition, would not however ever dream of this method.  Could you purchase a comode or use a funnel in the shed if you have one?  Not sure I would want to bottle at home.

You could always source from neibouring plot holders but thats not desirable either is it?

Sorry, not much help am I?  ;D

My daughter, who is a long distance cyclist rather than a gardener, but is faced with a similar problem of having to pee at the side of the road sometimes, recommends a device called a "SheWee" http://www.shewee.com/newstore/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 18:08:00 »
Uhh...you don't want to leave it any longer than 12 hrs in room temperature or it starts smelling. As a lady 'collector' and having high and thick hedges I don't 'save' any in home..supply is plentiful at situ :-X
Bucket is good invention and sometimes 'watering' straight under the plants is done too ;) Raspberries specially seem to enjoy some extra nitrogen feed....
Little word of advise....always check your gate is shut and nobody is about when letting the air around your bits ;D...I've learned my lesson hard way,, :-X ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 18:09:30 »
What an excellent thread!!
We use a plastic measuring jug in the shed at home then put it into a big plastic bottle and take round to the allotment. There is another pot in a shed on the plot. In summer we just go to the shed instead of using the loo, and as we spend most of pur spare time outside it adds up to a good amount.  All gets put on to the comfrey and nettle mix. Any spare goes to feed the comfrey.  That makes my high nitrogen feed. There is a seperate comfrey only feed for higher potash.  
The compost heap is in a far corner so can be used directly with a quick check for neighbours first, and we have taught OH's grandson to wee on the heap!!
As for smells etc well you can rinse out after use if that bothers you.
We survived for centuries before Mr Crapper came along.
Has anyone tried soil in a bucket?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 18:22:55 »
'bucket and chuck it '  ;D

Me too when on the lottie.........in the shed though LOL

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 18:30:57 »
I either water the plants direct, or go in a bucket, and tip it into a barrel. Ladies, don't do what my wife always seems to do, and squat on a nettle!

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 18:38:12 »
I either water the plants direct, or go in a bucket, and tip it into a barrel. Ladies, don't do what my wife always seems to do, and squat on a nettle!
No cut the nettles  first and put them in with the wee and some comfrey!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 18:40:19 »
 ;D ;D...oh..that's why we ladies works so hard..nothing gives you better boost than some nettles on your bottie :-X
Been there..done that... ;D ;D..and I'm sure I ain't last time... ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 18:47:54 »
When I first told my OH that I wee ed in the dalek bins she had visions of me pointing aim at the dalek and relieving myself,  :-[ actually I wee in a plastic beer glass, that looks more like a specimen bottle, this is done in the shed and poured into the dalek, swished out with a drop of butt water and also added, why you would want to save it at home beats me,  ???  but it takes all types, happy wee ing.    ;)     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 18:53:22 »
Kev peeing on it ok. However BUTT water ;D :D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 18:55:05 »
 ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 19:03:27 »
My daughter, who is a long distance cyclist rather than a gardener, but is faced with a similar problem of having to pee at the side of the road sometimes, recommends a device called a "SheWee" http://www.shewee.com/newstore/

Has anyone looked at the SheWee?  It really made me laugh, not just the fact that it was invented by Samantha Fountain, but that the illustration of a woman using it looks like a man peeing.

I might get one of these, stand by my compost heap and pee direct.   :o
Or maybe not.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 19:07:19 »
Do the ante natal clinics still demand the 24 hr urine test?  We used to have to hump it back to the hospital in a demi john - and ont he bus - with a lump of cotton wool in the top to stop it spilling.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 21:01:32 »
Has anyone looked at the SheWee?  It really made me laugh, not just the fact that it was invented by Samantha Fountain, but that the illustration of a woman using it looks like a man peeing.

I've a feeling it was actually the ancient Greeks who invented it!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 18:06:21 »
actually I wee in a plastic beer glass
Isn't that how Stella is made? :D
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal