Author Topic: Runner beans seeds  (Read 5461 times)

rugbypost

• Hectare
Runner beans seeds
« on: December 28, 2010, 20:25:37 »
I buy my seed every year from  t&m and pay £3-29p  for white lady i personaly think they are great with no waste and a truely wonderfull taste well anyway Alan Roman.com is selling them for  90p a packet for 40 seeds and postage is only  99p for your whole seed order this may be of use to all you with allotments hope it helps   Rugbypost
m j gravell

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Re: Runner beans seeds
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:01 »
Hi Rugbypost,

Another good site is www.moreveg.co.uk. I have just been doing some window shopping for squash and pumpkins (mostly 50p for 3 seeds) and quickly checked out the peas and beans varieties which are 50p for 50 seeds.  Worth a look.

After reading a recent post I always feel like a spammer when promoting a website, kind of like the feeling I get when I am in a nice shop in my old clothes and a security guard glances my way.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:22 »
Just remember it is only the rich who can afford to look shabby.

Thanks for the tip about seeds.  I think T&M are a bit expensive.
I am thinking of trying Moonlight  runner beans next year because they are self pollinating.  Has anyone tried them?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:21:46 »
I think Digeroo tried Moonlight & I don't think they did very well but put it down to the poor weather.
Premierseeddsdirect are an excellent site. No White Lady but lots of other beans, squash 99p for 30 seeds in some cases, P&P 59p per order.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 09:31:38 »
Don't you save your own seeds RP, I've saved mine for the last four years and my next plot neighbour Sid has saved his for the last 25+ years.   ???      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:21:04 »
Do you take any precautions to prevent crossing?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:28:18 »
If someone next door has a 25 year old self-saved strain I'd be asking him for som eseeds.... whatever they are they must suit the soil etc by now....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 13:40:31 »
True, but it could be wrecked pretty quickly by crossing with another variety.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 13:45:18 »

I've still plenty left from last year I bought them from a local nursery all loose in a big bin and bought them by the weight cheapest way apart from saving your own seed which is not for me, :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 13:53:00 »
I always use my own saved beans.  I have three different varieties and have never had a crossed one. 

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 18:07:33 »
I tried Moonlight last year and I wasn't too impressed by the yield so I won't be bothering with them this year.

Just remember it is only the rich who can afford to look shabby.

Thanks for the tip about seeds.  I think T&M are a bit expensive.
I am thinking of trying Moonlight  runner beans next year because they are self pollinating.  Has anyone tried them?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 18:15:58 »
I always use my own saved beans.  I have three different varieties and have never had a crossed one. 

same here!!
You couldn't make it up!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 18:20:50 »
 Over the years i have saved seeds but they were  types where the beans were stringy i have used white lady for 3 years i would  really like a few  to try them they hold good do not need a lot of water in hot spell if we have one . The taste is terriffic string less right up to your last picking but dont buy them from Thomson& morgans they are to dear a lot of great sites have been mentioned  by members  in this forum you wont be sorry have a go  Rugbypost
m j gravell

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 19:00:02 »
Thanks for the posts on Moonlight.   I will stick to Lady Di.  These have done well for me for the last 3 years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 22:06:09 »
I don't really like runner beans, but I'm trying Black Magic as a drying bean. I doubt whether it'll cross with anything as the hedges act as a barrier.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 23:18:04 »
As well as White Lady, our favourite variety is Red Rum.

We also tried Moonlight last year. Being self fertile we thought we would get an early crop in the greenhouse.

WRONG.  With the early hot spring weather, the conditions were too hot for them.  Whilst they did set seed, it was not a great success.

Shall be giving them another 'go' this year.

Conditions were not perfect for them last year, so give them the benefit of the doubt, and another try. ;D ;D

valmarg

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 01:23:55 »
Bit worried about the Moonlight.Previous comments could possibly be the reason why T@M are selling them very cheaply at a £1 per pack.
Should I invest in another type.
Any suggestions welcome

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:23 »
Did the people who tried Moonlight grow it in a greenhouse or somewhere it wouldn't be pollinated? It may well be self-pollinating; it may also be rather bad at it. Some apples, for instance, are self-pollinating, but produce a better crop with a pollinator. This could be similar.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 18:50:15 »
It was Digeroo & I doubt she will have grown them under cover but she's on her jollies ATM. I think she logs in but if not I will ask her.

I can't remember if it was a posting or a PM.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 19:03:39 »
As well as White Lady, our favourite variety is Red Rum.

We also tried Moonlight last year. Being self fertile we thought we would get an early crop in the greenhouse.

WRONG.  With the early hot spring weather, the conditions were too hot for them.  Whilst they did set seed, it was not a great success.

Shall be giving them another 'go' this year.

Conditions were not perfect for them last year, so give them the benefit of the doubt, and another try. ;D ;D

valmarg

for great pollination, spray the blooms with a 'mister' in the morning ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal