Author Topic: Cloudy pond  (Read 2368 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Cloudy pond
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:57 »
We started with the pond almost exactly 2 months ago and is looking quite good considering. The only thing that I'm not sure about is why it's now gone cloudy again. After the first month it was clearing nicely but in the last 2 to 3 weeks it's gone back to a cloudy green. We do get a lot of dust blown in as it hasn't rained for weeks and the wind in the afternoons can get quite strong. I added a small bag of barley straw, we have a few small plants, 3 fish and a solar fountain with a max height of about 1.8 metres. I did see the neighbour's dog in there last week but have now closed up the fence so it can't get back in, I've also fixed any soil run-off from the plants in the bed on one side of the pond. Can you think of anything else to try?

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Cloudy pond
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:05:15 »
I suspect that the answer is in what you have said about having no rain for several weeks, and I suspect that during that period you have had a fair amount of sunshine and fairly warm days which can lead to an algal `bloom`, and the water turns cloudy, or even green when there isn`t a balance between the mineral content of the water and the quantity of plant life.

Quite simply, if you have enough plants growing in the pond they will take out sufficient of the minerals in the water to starve out the algae which cause the clouding.  The best plants for this purpose are the submerged oxygenating plants which usually grow quickly, but any plant which has its roots in the water will help, and lilies are pretty demanding in this respect - their big leaves also help shade the water and thereby reduce the effect of the sunlight.

If your plants are all growing well (particularly the submerged ones) I would let well alone and let them carry on, and remember, the barley straw isn`t an overnight cure, it works, but it can take several weeks to work.  You can buy chemical preparations which are supposed to clear green or cloudy water without causing any harm to plants or fish, but these often simply don`t work, and you shouldn`t need them once the pond settles.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:29 »
Thanks, you're right about the hot days and lack of rain. I put in a  couple of submerged oxygenating plants last week as I thought that might help. I need to learn some patience but it's frustrating when it was clearing so nicely only to worsen afterwards.

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 13:23:57 »
A floating plant, such as yellow mimulus, will multiply rapidly, providing extensive shade, using up the excess minerals, and look very pretty as well,  but you must rake it off before the pond freezes or it will sink to the bottom and decompose, and in a frozen pond that usually means all your plant dwelling animals and insects are poisoned.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 23:22:59 »
If you want something that really works, I've never found that barley straw does, buy some Bio-Clare, it is a bit expensive but does work  Read all the gumph about it and then decide, they really aren't telling fibs.

Sinbad

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal