Author Topic: Number of Plots  (Read 4195 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Number of Plots
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 21:55:46 »
I have one plot 110x35ft.  I also share mother-in-law plot 70x35, We have hens on hers and her partner manages the rest of it.  People who took on more than one plot when they weren't popular are allowed to keep what they have providing they remain cultivated. 

We now only allocate 1/2 plots to get waiting lists down.  If the time ever comes again when there is no waiting lists,  then 1/2 plot holders will be given first opportunity at a full plot.  Anybody who already has a full plot will not be allowed any more unless there is no waiting list for full plots.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 22:01:19 »
I have 3 plots, each one is approx 400 square meters (i haven't a clue what this is in poles).  There is no waiting list on our allotment site and there are plots still available, so i don't feel guilty having 3 plots.  I keep them all tidy nearly weed free...i love it and do spend a lot of time down there

13 poles each x 3  = 39 poles.  I found 34 poles too much land to work by hand. Your getting into the realms of a small tractor
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 15:08:25 »
Hi all  :)

I have two and a half plots.

Our site isn`t very popular and newbies come and go though we give lots of encouragement they often can`t keep up with the workload so we have spare plots and some which are look abandoned.

I have a plot mostly for fruit and permanent planting, one for rows of veg and one half for pumpkins and other squash.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 22:29:54 »
I have 3 plots, each one is approx 400 square meters (i haven't a clue what this is in poles).  There is no waiting list on our allotment site and there are plots still available, so i don't feel guilty having 3 plots.  I keep them all tidy nearly weed free...i love it and do spend a lot of time down there

13 poles each x 3  = 39 poles.  I found 34 poles too much land to work by hand. Your getting into the realms of a small tractor
400 square metres == 16 pole, and 16 poles x 3 == 48 poles.  That's getting into the realms of a small country!
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 22:45:16 »
kippers garden......I'm jealous  :)  :) how wonderful for you, that would be a dream come true for me! I love my allotment too. I stayed out til 9.45 tonight   :) I'm almost on top of my weeding but I can't wait to start digging and prepare a patch for herbs next year. All exciting stuff....my family think I'm mad and that is until I bring back a bag filled with peas, beans, carrots and courgettes!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 00:40:55 »

400 square metres == 16 pole, and 16 poles x 3 == 48 poles.  That's getting into the realms of a small country!

doh, square metres, cant work in this new fangled maths............

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 19:09:02 »
15.81 poles = 400 sq meters

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 19:51:52 »

you don't use poles or metres in the U.S. of A, do you?
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 21:40:45 »
Not entirely.  You have to consider the accuracy of the measurement.  On a good day you might hope to get the dimensions accurate to one inch in a thousand with a good 30 yard tape measure, but the real problem is that the edges of the plot are never that well defined.  Best case the plot will be edged with straight paths all round, edges cut with military precision, but typically the edge of the path will be pretty fuzzy, and the paths will only be straight-ish.  So think about a 16 pole plot, approximately 9m wide, and 45m long.  You can measure the length to +-10cm because it's an ill-defined edge but essentially straight over the length, but the width you can only get to +-25cm because of how it's a bit wavey.  That gives you fractional errors on the width and length of 2.8% and 0.2% respectively, and that makes the fractional error on the area 3.0%.  That's for a big 16 pole plot, for a smaller plot the fractional error gets worse.

What this means is that the area of the plot is not defined any more accurately than this.  It's not just that it can't be measured more accurately, its area really isn't defined any more accurately than +-3%.

So if you're converting from one unit to another the scale factor only needs to be a good bit more accurate than the area.  So yes, 1 pole = 25.293 sq meters, but if you're measuring allotment plots 1 pole = 25.0 sq metres is still within 1% and it's no more true to use any more significant figures because the area isn't defined any more accurately.

Or the short answser:  1 pole = 25 sq meters is fine for allotments.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 22:44:41 »
I looked it up in WHITES 1856 LINCOLNSHIRE DIRECTORY:

I thought that was quite interesting.  Notice they define a perch as 20 feet, (6.15 m)

lilyjean

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 22:56:27 »
wow lincsyokel2! that was so interesting...Thank you. Well done you for doing some research, fantastic!   :)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 23:11:54 »
I have three five rod plots - don't ask me how big that is! 
The first one I got 25 years ago and then the second must have been about 10 years later and the third and final one was an overgrown plot next to the second one which was covered in weeds........so I asked the site manager at the time if I could try and 'tame' it. It is very heavy clay soil there so I have seven raised beds on it, plus a greenhouse.
It certainly keeps me busy .......but happy;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 23:13:39 »
The bit about the allocation of land after 1066 is interesting.  The majority land is still owned by a relatively small number of landowners, and we are having to scratch about on tiny pieces of land and are made to feel guilty if we manage to get more than one.  

Yet there are vast amounts of land hardly used.  

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 00:32:14 »
The bit about the allocation of land after 1066 is interesting.  The majority land is still owned by a relatively small number of landowners, and we are having to scratch about on tiny pieces of land and are made to feel guilty if we manage to get more than one.  

Yet there are vast amounts of land hardly used.  

Yes, when they say 'was granted 12 lordships", it means 'lords of the manor', ie lord of the manor in 12 manors.

Notice the bit "Judith, Countess of Northumberland, 17 lordships" she was about 14 years old at the point the land was divvied up.

Countess Judith (born in Normandy between 1054 and 1055, died after 1086), was a niece of William the Conqueror. She was a daughter of his sister Adelaide of Normandy, Countess of Aumale and Lambert II, Count of Lens.

In 1070, Judith married Earl Waltheof of Huntingdon and Northumbria. They had three daughters, the eldest of whom, Maud, brought the earldom of Huntingdon to her second husband, David I of Scotland.

In 1075, Waltheof joined the Revolt of the Earls against William. It was the last serious act of resistance against the Norman conquest of England. Judith betrayed Waltheof to her uncle, who had Waltheof beheaded on 31 May 1076.

She knew which side her bread was buttered on.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 00:34:08 by lincsyokel2 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal