Author Topic: Soil  (Read 2065 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Soil
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:27:40 »
I've just bought some bare rooted aquatic plants online, far cheaper than what I can get locally and a much larger selection. The local garden centres don't do "aquatic compost" so what is the best next thing do you think? One, possibly daft, thought is to get some mud from the village pond but can anyone suggest anything else?

Cheers
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
Re: Soil
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 16:16:23 »
You can use a decent garden soil. Sieve it to remove any stones. Avoid anything peaty as this will just float off. Remember to add some gravel on top of the soil too - keeps it all in place, stops wildlife picking at roots and helps weigh down baskets.

Where did you get your plants? Always looking for recommendations :)

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 16:19:30 »
Thanks. Funnily enough I was on their site just now and saw one of the videos they offer and they gave the same advice http://www.silverthorpe.co.uk/

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 20:01:42 »

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 20:32:39 »
Thanks TeeGee, the articles are very well written and informative, I hadn't noticed that one before. I think my success with sweetcorn this year is probably down to one of your videos and advice.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal