Author Topic: Caterpillars laying seige again.  (Read 1337 times)

Becca

• Not So New ...
Caterpillars laying seige again.
« on: July 09, 2010, 19:34:39 »
hey so brussel sprouts have been hit by caterpillars.  on two plants so far.  i think i picked them all off but i cant see eggs so am assuming im just not good at spotting eggs as i have been checking. Also i thought i got them all off one plant yesterday but  saw more today. but i really hate picking them off, they are much more disgusting than slugs, i think its the smell and the droppings, yeuck.  plus i never seem to pick them off.   
I have most of my cabbage netted but didnt buy enough and used a wider netting on the brussel sprouts ( it kept the pigeons at bay but alas not the cabbage white moth,   who i have seen and chased regularily like a fool :P. 
anyhow been reading up on organic control and came across http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2009/0730/1224251661802.html
with info about:
The pathogenic nematode, Steinernema carpocapsae
also saw that mr middleton  have a grow your own product that targets caterpillars aswell as others.
but its expensive and im wondering will it work.  also since i have to order online will i get it too late, 

anything else i can spray with that will kill them and wont harm me??????
any help tips aprreciated.   also should i get a finer net over them now?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal