Author Topic: another one about peas!  (Read 1120 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
another one about peas!
« on: July 04, 2010, 20:06:05 »
i've some mange tout and wondering how close i can plant them, realistically? will they support each other?

i was thinking about nailing a bit of left over weldmesh between two stakes and getting them to grow up that but i only have a small amount left so need to know how close i can get them (as i went a bit mad on the last sowing!!)

any other genius ways of supporting peas (that wont cost me any/much money?)
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: another one about peas!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 20:36:11 »
I grow them up bamboo wigwams, wound about with string to give them something to grip. I plant a dozen peas to a three-inch pot, and plant them out once they're off to a good start.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 21:10:57 »
I didn't get round to getting any pea sticks and my mange tout managed to climb over themselves (and the weeds).  I don't suppose they did particularly well but I did get a few pickings off them.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 15:13:12 »
i've some mange tout and wondering how close i can plant them, realistically? will they support each other?

Unwashed,
Difficult to say ..... there are very short vined mangetout, medium and tall growing mangetout.  If you know a variety name that makes it easier to comment.  Default would be: The mangetout scramble along the ground, supporting each other to a degree, you get some harvest.

Le-y ,
I agree with Robert about supports.  However I would not put as many as 12 seeds in a 3 inch pot, 4-6 seems about right, but that is personal preference and allows me to keep them in the pot for a bit longer, if the weather is not suitable for planting out.  Each of my little pots is planted about 20cm apart from the next one.  If the plants are still small, a bottle cloche will fit over a planted out 3 inch pot for protection.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 15:45:43 »
If I ever knew the variety I've forgotten it - bought at the Whitchurch Potato Day.  I remember that it was a 5ft variety.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 17:36:37 »
Hi Unwashed,

I bought mangetout seeds at the Whitchurch Potato Day. Mine were bought by volume and were Oregon Sugar Pod. Hope this helps.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal