Author Topic: Plant ID please  (Read 3586 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Plant ID please
« on: May 30, 2010, 15:16:31 »
Hi all.  Does anyone know what this plant, growing through a Cotoneaster in the sunner border, is please?  I first noticed it about a week ago and it has now doubled in height to about 45cm.  No sign of any flowers as yet.

Thanks in advance.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Plant ID please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 15:57:48 »
goosegrass? wild madder? a bedstraw?

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 16:11:04 »
Looks like Sticky William!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 16:59:43 »
Looks like Sticky William!

That's what I thought!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 17:43:11 »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I think you are right an it is cleavers - which seems to go by many names.  Come to think of it I did broadcast a few wild flower seeds in that area last year (including bedstraw) so that will explain it.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 18:00:49 »
Goosegrass. Exterminate it without mercy, as once it gets a hold it's a nightmare to deal with.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 18:58:44 »
Folks used it to hold their straw beds together so I have been told. I'm sure that it would do a bloomin good job too
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 21:16:07 »
I'd never heard of this plant before today and I like that story, Shirl.  I think it's rather nice so I'll leave it be for the time being and see if it's beneficial.  If not the I'll take Robert's advice and pull it out - there is no room for passengers in my tiny garden.

G x

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 06:08:31 »
I think Ladies Bedstraw was added to Victorian straw mattresses to deter fleas and lice, if my memory serves me right...... ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:30 »
I think Ladies Bedstraw was added to Victorian straw mattresses to deter fleas and lice, if my memory serves me right...... ;)

Nothing beneficial about that stuff especially in a small garden...its very invasive!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:21:58 »
 ;D ;D...yes it is invasive..but it is annual and pulls out easily..if let to seed it comes out everywhere but luckily it is only a shallow rooted plant so easy to deal with.. ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:26:03 »
I'd never heard of this plant before today and I like that story, Shirl.  I think it's rather nice so I'll leave it be for the time being and see if it's beneficial.  If not the I'll take Robert's advice and pull it out - there is no room for passengers in my tiny garden.

G x
[/
Its good for nowt these days Georgie apart from sticking to every other plant in the garden and you, ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 13:20:49 »
Oh heck, looks like it'll have to go then.  Shame, I thought I'd got a nice plant for free.   :(

G x

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 23:33:27 »
Another name for this is Friendship weed, 'cause it sticks to you and won't let go! Pull it out while you have the chance before it sets seed, it'll go on for yards and suffocate any border plants.  :(

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:06 »
And if you want fun ...not........ try spending a few hours trying to remove the seeds, which are as sticky as burdock, but a lot smaller, from the coat of your kitten. 'Cos that is one way the stuff spreads.  They will not brush out, they have to be pulled off one by one, or you leave them until they drop off around the garden of course. Hannibal used to sit and chew them off then spit (funniest thing you have ever seen is a cat spitting) them out on the rug in front of the fire.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:16 »
Eric, I love your post! :)  Georgie, pull it up quick, before the sticky seeds have a chance to develop!! ;)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:36 »
You didn't stick this stuff on the back of your friend's jumper as a child then. ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:56 »
Some of us grew up in places where the only greenery was in the shops!
You could always eat the stuff by the way, it is edible, in the same way as nettles.
Gardening is the great leveller.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 13:12:17 »
ive got shed loads of this stuff on the lottie just dont let it seed!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 22:06:20 »
I took it out today - just as it was coming into flower - so it looks as though I've had a lucky escape.  Thanks for all your help.   :)

G x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal