Author Topic: Bird food at the allotment  (Read 1500 times)

AdeTheSpade

• Not So New ...
Bird food at the allotment
« on: May 02, 2010, 20:23:23 »
About a month ago, at vast expense :-\ I bought a bird feeder, and set it up in the middle of the allotment with fat balls and one of those long seed holders, with lots of seeds in.  So far, none of the seeds appear to have been eaten at all, nearly all the fat balls have gone completely :o, with no sign of them having been pecked at, just taken lock, stock and barrel!  Presumably some large bird - maybe a crow or something - has taken the fat balls.  But I wonder why the seeds aren't being eaten?  There's a large tree nearby, as well as my shed, so I'd have thought there would be plenty of places for the birds to sit in/on before they come and dine.  I was hoping to attract lots of our feathered friends so that they would eat the slugs and other nasties - but it's not looking very hopeful!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Bird food at the allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 20:45:00 »
I have bird feeders at home and wouldnt have one at the allotment. I have seen just how resourceful crows and starlings can be at getting the seeds out of feeders. Along with the crows and starlings come the pigeons that feed on the seeds and fat that the birds throw to the ground. I really dont want to encourge pigeons to my plot - there seems to be enough of them around without me giving them dinner!! ;)

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bird food at the allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 20:53:43 »
Try to hang your feeders from the tree ;) Small birds don't generally like to come out to a open space to feed as they will become easy pray for other like sparrow hawk..and yes they do have their own taste..for ours fat balls are waste ..they hardly touch them...we buy huskless seed mix and have very little waste and mess out of them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal