Author Topic: Who has made their own Sour Dough?  (Read 5059 times)

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Who has made their own Sour Dough?
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 19:00:32 »
Muslin on!

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 19:07:03 »
 Just me again, I always have to ask a lot of questions,,,, ;-)))
  maybe I am jumping the gun a bit but did you notice just a tiny bit of a swell in the cling film,,,,, just wondered,,, me,,, qahtan

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 19:23:16 »
Sorry! Too late! Not that observant! Carbon dioxide?

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 19:41:07 »

;-(((( ;-((((                      Q

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 15:19:27 »
Hi thanks, now it is getting interesting.

The recipe I gave a link to (that is the bit in blue) on my initial posting. I thought he had made it a little too easy and as it was from over the pond where I know that there are different yeasts in the air as well as different flours etc.

I did want feed back from closer to home and there are certainly plenty of hints there with decent advice on starting out.

Thinking about it, I have probably made the starter without realising it. I remember once leaving some uncooked batter in the fridge and forgot it was there for a few days and recall wondering how the water on top could have turned so dark brown.

I probably would have used cling film if I had not read that advice.

Now one small thing about honey. I know it has properties which make it antiseptic and in the past they had no sugar (not the tate and lyle sort anyway) Is honey what would have been used or is there enough natural sugar in the flour?

Being unscientific as I am, struggling with mixed knowledge of insufficient quantities. Like, too much sugar can kill the yeast in brewing. Natural yeast is the white film on fruits such as grapes.

Is Late summer the best time to start off the process when there is fruit ripening then?

Would one of those crocks meant for rumtoft be a good container do you think?

Has any one used 'spelt' ? It rises much quicker when using conventional bread recipes. I have noted rye and whole flour which makes sense.

To make matters worse, I do not tollerate wheat gluten too well, but can have buckwheat, rice and corn flours. I dare not try rye as it is supposed to be worse but oats don't seem to affect me. The gluten free bread I can make or buy tastes like a combination of sawdust and soap. I am not celiac (so the doctor assures me) so it is just a matter of trying things and see if the stomach reacts or not. Then resting it for a week and trying something else.

Thanks

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 22:42:31 »
Sourdough rye bread  is a bit leathal for even those who do not have gluten or other problems...until your stomach gets used to it anybody doing it, start with small dozes.. ;)...it's a bit like with Jerusalem artichokes..
There was advert in tv today about sourdough bread program ?! Anybody catched that???I didn't catch the day or the time but it was going to be in bbc4?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:18 »
Re your container, I think the rumpot crock would be two big ,I use a jar ,1/2 gallon it is short and fat, theres lots of space if the yeast  volcanoso when I feed it. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:17 »
There's a good explanation of the methods and science of sourdough, and some good recipes, in Bread Matters by Andrew Whitley, who runs the Village Bakery in Melmerby. I haven't done his sourdough myself, but the hot cross buns I once made were superb.

If your sourdough loaf is cooked thoroughly, it should be very digestible.

Happy rising!  ;D

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:03 »
Having made various starters I have used a method that was published in the Daily Telegraph about 4-5 years ago. This used a jar or tupperware box and you added flour and water each day. Since the yeast is on the ground flour covering makes little difference, obviously there may be some bacteria in the air but it uses what is on the ground grain.

It takes a couple of days to fizz and then you can feed again. Every time you use some you just add more to the mix. I will check the recipe given later and post, although I thin I posed it in this section some years ago.......

My OH has used the starter to make superb breads like naans, the sour taste goes superbly with curries.

OC

Old Central

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 10:49:24 »

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 22:51:17 »
Started Monday morning, by Tuesday morning nothing much in the way of bubbles, but clearly had changed, now very silky. Today, Wednesday morning much the same but "something" happening. Added 100g of Tesco Strong Stoneground Wholemeal (as suggested by Hugh F-W) and enough warm water to make like thick paint. By 10.30 this evening things definitely happening! Smells like a brewery and bubbles a bit!

Old Central

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:56 »
Smells like a brewery and bubbles a bit!

That sounds/smells/looks like it - just keep feeding it.

OC

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 14:58:36 »
I did a quick sourdough starter at the weekend:

500g Rye Flour
500ml water
A decent rounded teaspoonful of diastatic malt syrup (from brewery shop)

Mix and cover with a damp teatowel in a coolish room for about 24 hours.

Fermented beautifully, and is now the basis for 9 loaves, 8 of which are in the freezer.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal