Author Topic: All you Win7 experts  (Read 1860 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
All you Win7 experts
« on: January 22, 2010, 16:20:16 »
Hi,
When I open Win7 on my notebook a message at the top of the screen states:-

"Press 11 to run recovery"

I googled it but am non the wiser! I aint done nuffink Sir - honest!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: All you Win7 experts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 16:52:50 »
Somethings corrupt & it wants you to press F11 upon startup to launch the recovery program to restore the laptop to its original condition. If pressing F11 doesn't help or it generates a different error message then it would be useful to know the make/model of the laptop & details of any new problems/error messages.

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:56:21 »
AS above its so you can recover your boot files if there is a system crash. Windows 7 seems to write it so that you can try an uncorrupted re start.
Some computers also have this built in when you buy them.
I wouldnt touch it until you have to. Just in case.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

JBates

• Not So New ...
    • Derby PC Services
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 23:05:36 »
Does your computer continue to load after this message has been displayed? If it does, it's nothing to worry about, it's just giving you that option so that you can run the recovery. As the posts above state, knowing the make and model would help in diagnosing the problem :)
In need of PC help? Go on to www.derbypcservices.co.uk
Or alternatively e-mail us: enquiries@derbypcservices.co.uk

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 22:19:04 »
Thanks for your replies;-

As you say   DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!unless you need to return to factory settings. If you don't select the back up file option you lose everything.
Can't see the need for this unless you have a serious issue. System restore, I would have thought, is a good recovery method.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

JBates

• Not So New ...
    • Derby PC Services
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 22:38:31 »
Thanks for your replies;-

As you say   DON'T TOUCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!unless you need to return to factory settings. If you don't select the back up file option you lose everything.
Can't see the need for this unless you have a serious issue. System restore, I would have thought, is a good recovery method.

Just a FYI about System Restores. If you have something like Norton running, System Restores will not complete successfully. You will need to boot your computer into Safe Mode (tapping F5 or F8 (depending on model) on startup and selecting Safe Mode with your arrow keys), and then run the System Restore.
In need of PC help? Go on to www.derbypcservices.co.uk
Or alternatively e-mail us: enquiries@derbypcservices.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal