Author Topic: Silver link hens  (Read 6835 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Silver link hens
« on: December 18, 2009, 19:38:21 »
Hey just introducing 3 silver link hens to our girls, trying the introduce them in the night method. OH is out there now with them all seems ok so far!! Ive also read to ensure there is plenty for them to do in the morning when we let them out by hanging a few treats around the run to keep them busy.

I think they are beautiful hens  ;D Any one on here have some? Ive read they are quite friendly and lay up to 300 brown eggs a year. Already at POL too.

Will post some pics soon x

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: Silver link hens
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 10:37:46 »
All seemed well this morning when we let them out. Came in for a coffee and went back out to find two of our girls had had a bit of a scrap. Resulting in one slightly bleeding comb on one of the ex bats and Mrs white with a bleeding wattle. They seem quite content with each other now!

I have cleaned the areas with salt water but am a little concerned that the other hens will keep pecking at them, even though there is no sign of this happening at the moment. I just wondered if there is anything else i can do to stem the bleeding? I also read that putting a little vicks vapour on the affected areas will deter anymore pecking? Anyone tried this?

Thanks Lucy

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 14:43:45 »
Wouldnt that vicks vapour sting like billy o. I would use vaseline for healing but not sure about stopping the others pecking. They do seem to keep having a go at anything bleeding. Good luck with your new hens.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 19:47:25 »
I did think that when i read about it  :o so i decided not too  ;D Will remember the tip about vaseline though.

I bathed with salt water again both have stopped bleeding now and they seem to be getting on with each other. Went out tonight and they had all put themselves to bed all seem happy in their spots inside the coop. Gave them a treat of meal worms today too they went down well  ;D

Lucy x

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 10:53:19 »
Are they getting on? Can you not seperate them? We have like a run at the side where we used to put them in so they can see eachother but not attack. Then put them to bed together. Does that make sense?

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 22:28:14 »
Yes that does make sense  ;D But all is good now, i  think they were just working out the pecking order and a bit of blood was shed but all healed up nicely and no more arguments  8)

Thanks lucy

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 14:55:06 »
Sounds like they've settled in very well, mine took ages to mix together well - as in months of fighting, chasing and feather pulling. Maybe it's the shorter days and less activity?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 00:37:27 »
Will post some pics soon x
Are pictures ready yet missus?

My hens are way past their best for laying now so I will be looking to replace my hens for more productive egg layers and considering Isa Browns or Warrens.  If yours lay 300+ then they will be in the ballot too.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 16:22:15 »
Hi,

A few pics as promised  ;)

[/img]

Lucy x

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 16:57:05 »
They look great. I wonder how long the raised bed will last.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 11:32:05 »
Ha ha i know not to bad at the minute because there is nothing growing in there!! But will have to come up with some sort of cover when there is. In the meantime they are doing a great job of turning it all over  ;D I pruned all the raspberry canes yesterday that normally grow up by the wall but im sure they will enjoy those this  year  ;D Couldnt quite reach them last year so we managed to enjoy most of them :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal