Author Topic: Squash question  (Read 6923 times)

lottiedolly

• Acre
Re: Squash question
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 10:49:51 »
Thanks for the instructions, I have copied and paste them so i can print it off and save them. Also thanks for the seeds, i will be googling all about these squashes.

Roll on April, and i will be asking about hand pollinating.

Kindest regards

LD

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 20:31:00 »
Another one who has cut and pasted you instructions thank you.  I have got several types to try next year here they are

Winter Squashes

Boston   
Cheyenne Bush pumpkin
Thelma Sanders sweet potato squash
Blue Banana
Burgess Buttercup
Waltham Butternut

Summer Squash
Summer crookneck
Patterson Orange
Some are going to be grown in my garden, should be fun.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 10:16:35 »
Put somewhere warm and check daily if that place is dark (like an airing cupboard)
As soon as it hatches (4-5 days in an airing cupboard generally) then uncover it and get it somewhere sunny and not too cold (south facing window sill, greenhouse etc)
Chriscross - do you actually do it that way yourself successfully or are you just suggesting it for people without propagators?
Thing is some seed packets say don't exclude light from squashes because it helps germination. (T&M for example)
It would certainly be easier if I could put them in the airing cupboard, but I didn't last year because of that.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 16:42:04 »
I haven't heard the one about allowing light to get to the seed, but I always bury my squashes in the pots, and I've never had problems. Sometimes I've germinated them in an airing cupboard, and it's always worked fine.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 16:45:47 »
I,ve always germinated mine the same way as Chriscross too, works best for me and I haven't seen anything about light either.

T.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 13:17:30 »
Paula, that is a lovely selection of squash that you will be growing

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 14:43:57 »
Earlypea read the packet again, I often misread them , once they have germinated then they need the light, generally on a sunny window seal.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 22:43:02 »
Put somewhere warm and check daily if that place is dark (like an airing cupboard)
As soon as it hatches (4-5 days in an airing cupboard generally) then uncover it and get it somewhere sunny and not too cold (south facing window sill, greenhouse etc)
Chriscross - do you actually do it that way yourself successfully or are you just suggesting it for people without propagators?
Thing is some seed packets say don't exclude light from squashes because it helps germination. (T&M for example)
It would certainly be easier if I could put them in the airing cupboard, but I didn't last year because of that.

I must admit I took that from a book, I use propagators. I doubt if much light gets through an inch of compost though..... They do need plenty of light as soon as they hatch though, they etiolate really quickly.....

chrisc

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 03:19:58 »
There is an Italian squash I've grown 2 years called Zuccetta Rampicantetromboncino which makes a zucchini shaped summer squash and will happily climb for you. Mine were planted in sun but I trained some of them on strings  into shaded bushes  where they did not get much sun and still produced squash. The seed catalogue said they'd get 5 foot runners but mine must have been almost 15 ft.  It is worth a try. Let us know how you do!

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 04:13:53 »
.... The seed catalogue said they'd get 5 foot runners but mine must have been almost 15 ft.  It is worth a try. Let us know how you do!

There's lies, damned lies and seedsmen's estimates of squash runner lengths......:D

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 09:01:22 »
Earlypea read the packet again, I often misread them , once they have germinated then they need the light, generally on a sunny window seal.   ;D ;D ;D
Didn't misread it - my packet says the same as this online info "
After sowing, do not exclude light as this helps germination
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/242/1/

doesn't say that for all the squashes though....

Thanks for the reports - I'll try the airing cupboard this year.  I can't keep them warm enough any other way. 

I did wonder whether there was something in it though because last year on another forum when people were complaining about the lack of germination in spring someone who seems to be a bit knowledgeable (although you never really know online) said that squashes were even sensitive to the orientation of the sun when germinating so you shouldn't move them around.  I've no idea where that comes from either!

If it was true I'm sure some of the squash fanatics here would know.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:32:18 by earlypea »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 10:17:02 »
I have found in the past that if particular courgettes/squashes fail to germinated that putting them in damp kitchen roll in a plastic bag and putting on the window sill jogs them into action.

There is one called Clarita which particularly responds well to a blast of light.

They have a little film of material coating the inner part of the seed which turns green perhaps this is helps the germination process.  I mostly germinate mine on top of the radiator in damp kitchen roll and pot on as soon as there is a root. 

Sweet Corn likes the sun shine as well.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 11:39:28 »
This is one I will be trying next year:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/547/1.html

Quite a few people on our site grow it and it seems to be very productive with smallish (as squash go) plants. Not sure if it is suitable for lower levels of sun, but someone else may comment.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 13:35:24 »
Earlypea read the packet again, I often misread them , once they have germinated then they need the light, generally on a sunny window seal.   ;D ;D ;D
Didn't misread it - my packet says the same as this online info "
After sowing, do not exclude light as this helps germination
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/242/1/
doesn't say that for all the squashes though....
Thanks for the reports - I'll try the airing cupboard this year.  I can't keep them warm enough any other way. 
I did wonder whether there was something in it though because last year on another forum when people were complaining about the lack of germination in spring someone who seems to be a bit knowledgeable (although you never really know online) said that squashes were even sensitive to the orientation of the sun when germinating so you shouldn't move them around.  I've no idea where that comes from either!
If it was true I'm sure some of the squash fanatics here would know.

Most of the dicot type plants are sensitive to direction of sun (tropism), the first pair of  squash leaves face the sun in early growth, changing their orientation will cause the plant to waste energy turning it's leaves round to where it wants them to be!!
You couldn't make it up!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 10:00:35 »
thanks Tonybloke.

I do know about that (though not the terminology), but does it apply to actual germination itself, not later leaves emerging because that's what was implied.  ie. you mustn't move them after sowing.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 11:08:35 »
What do you folks mean by an "airing cupboard", please?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:18 »
GA - it usually a large cupboard with the boiler or hot water tank in and some slated shelves. Useful space for storing bedding and towels and germinating seeds   ;). So it's warm, dry and dark. Unfortunately I don't have one, so rely on sunny window cills  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 12:34:51 »
GA - it usually a large cupboard with the boiler or hot water tank in and some slated shelves. Useful space for storing bedding and towels and germinating seeds   ;). So it's warm, dry and dark. Unfortunately I don't have one, so rely on sunny window cills  :D
Interesting! Learn something new everyday.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 12:54:16 »
I presume that it is something you do not have on your side of the salty pond.  Do you have a warm cupboard if so what do you call it?

I don't germinate in mine once had a nasty accident with some compost all over the clean towels. I find that heat of the radiator jogs then into action really quickly.  In my previous house I had a floor boiler and the top was great for begonias courgettes and yoghurt.  Now the boiler is on the wall takes up less space but cannot put seeds on top.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 13:44:44 »
thanks Tonybloke.

I do know about that (though not the terminology), but does it apply to actual germination itself, not later leaves emerging because that's what was implied.  ie. you mustn't move them after sowing.
the very first pair of 'leaves' out of the seed, are not 'real' leaves., they are VITAL for early growth, and any re-orientation (turning around) of the juvenile plant will be detrimental to it's health and vigour.
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotyledon ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal