Author Topic: cooking beetroot  (Read 29934 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
cooking beetroot
« on: June 27, 2009, 17:36:56 »
How long should beetroot be boiled for?  Mine seem to take ages.  I have not grown it for sometime, but don't remember it taking this long.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: cooking beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 17:48:20 »
We always steam ours. We get about 5 in the steamer and it takes around an hour. We do like ours nice and tender though
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 17:56:18 »
Microwave, every time! Place in a large bowl, add a splash of water, stick a plate over the top & give it 3 or 4 minutes for a couple of smallish roots. Err on the side of undercooking - you can always give it more!

Rinse under cold tap & peel after cooking.

***WATCH OUT FOR THE STEAM WHEN YOU LIFT THE PLATE OFF***

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 18:39:39 »
I do my beetroot in the pressure cooker, marvellous thing - takes about 15 mins and does loads! But agree microwave is fine, and also they are nice roasted in the oven if you have it on.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 19:36:31 »
Thanks for replies.  Do not have a pressure cooker.  Ofton think of buying one, and a steamer.  Will try m/w.  Will watch for steam.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 20:55:36 »
We put ours in the slow cooker for 2/3 hours ,just a splash of water and if i can be bothered i wrap them in foil pack them tightly in a single layer.If I've got the oven on I wrap in foil,splash of water,in a lidded dish.YUM  :)Had some of our first harvest today.To think I spent the whole of my childhood thinking i didn't like it when it was the pickled stuff YUK,then my husbands aunt gave me the real thing :)
sanity is overated

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 21:05:55 »
Easy peasy way, gives sweet results, Put beetroot in ovenproof dish-I use roasting pan, small amount of water, cover dish with foil, roast at 140-150c for 3-4 hours. When skin comes away when wrinkled it's done. Leave to cool. You can shove them in with other things up to a heat of 180c and they will obviously take less time to cook.
Smile, it confuses people.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 08:39:36 »
Easy to slice in an egg slicer and less messy when pickling also.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:26:32 »
Beetroot takes 40 minutes to boil in the conventional pan and water. Trying to poke it with a fork or knife tip does not work as it does for testing potatoes

That is why I always try to do it in large batches. and share it out with family. Ready cooked in the skin.

It does not keep for long once cooked, only a couple of days unless you cover it with vinegar. It does not freeze either.

A few people are making Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins with cooked grated beetroot. I found them perfectly disgusting but the rest of the world seems to like them. Especially people who do not  usually like beetroot.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:24:15 »
I froze my beetroot after cooking. I am still eating my 2007 crop. My 2008 crop was non existant!!!
I take batches out of the freezer a bit at a time and put it in a jar of any vinegar that I have. I keep it in the fridge and it is just fine.
I am on my last lot now but have a good crop coming on at the lottie now.

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:37:09 »
Hi Cacran,
What do you so with your Beetroot before freezing?
Do you pop it straight in the freezer or blanch it first?
Thanks,
Sue
(only planted mine 3 weeks ago! 4 days after getting the allotment!)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 18:33:44 »
Hi 123b, glad to welcome you with your new plot. You will get plenty of opions here if you want to know anything but there is also a pretty good search.

Just click on and see if what you want is already on, it might give you an instant answer.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 22:22:58 »
Hi 123b, I actually cook and slice the beetroot before freezing the then when they are defrosted, just pop them in  vinegar in a jar. Just taste like bought ones, perhaps a bit better as I know they are grown on my own allotment. :)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:29 »
I dont boil beetroot, I bake it.

Wrap in foil, oven 170 degrees C for one hour.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 12:29:04 »
I cook mine in the microwave ....four of them takes about 12 mins.:) but I suppose it depends on the power of your microwave...and the size of the beetroot. I have always hated using the oven unless I have something else cooking in there at the same time.
Second choice is my pressure cooker but I only use the pressure cooker if I am cooking a large quantity of beetroot.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 13:00:19 »
I am liking this cooking in a micky idea.  I'm definitely going to try it next time I cook them.  Must mean all the nice stuff stays in the beetroot instead of seeping into the water.
Twinkletoes

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal