Author Topic: 50+ spam emails a day!!!!!  (Read 3646 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
50+ spam emails a day!!!!!
« on: June 08, 2009, 19:03:55 »
Can anyone help me with a problem I have. Recently I have been getting loads of spam mail sometimes up to 80 a day. I am using microsoft outlook for my emails and I also have Norton security. Is there anything that can be done to stop all these emails. I have tried blocking them but it doesn't work as all the addresses are different. I have been deleting them but sometimes I worry that I am deleting ones that I want. I am dreading going on holiday and coming back to all this !!

Hellllllllllp!!

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: 50+ spam emails a day!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 19:07:02 »
I am not genned up on computers but I'm sure someone will come along to sort out your problem Duke
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 19:10:27 »
Pain I know but suggest you change your email address.  Also have one address for friends and another which you give over the internet for business etc.  I also have one just for A4A to match with Digeroo.

I was getting spam purporting to come from every bank you could think of.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 19:18:02 »
I found this. My account was getting replies from others that "sort of" looked like my name. When i explained to a friend he said i was probably sending them as they said "non deliverable" and i thougb my PC was infected with a virus or was part of botnet. I changed my email address and bingo it stopped instantly. A Dummy email address is always good for this type of thing. Only people who know my email are my friends and secure server shops etc. I never get any spam at all.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 19:27:57 »
I use a program called Spamfighter http://www.spamfighter.com/ which blocks most of mine. It syncronises with Outlook and puts an extra toolbar on it where you can click to block any suspect email (or unblock something it falsely identifies as spam). Not foolproof, but none of them are!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 19:34:17 »
By the way Flunky could you take  your cat away from my allotment I am tired of digging now.

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:00:30 »
I believe that this is very good.
http://www.mailwasher.net/
Watch the video it tells you about it.
Like most good security measures you have to teach it what's spam and not but once it knows it will black it automatically.
Also your email supplier should be trying to block known spam. Have a look on the support page on their website.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 18:26:16 »
By the way Flunky could you take  your cat away from my allotment I am tired of digging now.

I tried but it shot a warning shot across my bows. Sorry.

pamsdish

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 18:49:22 »
Hi Duke
You don`t say who your I.S.P. is , its not Tiscali by any chance,

I had Tiscali and was getting 100s per day ,i asked their team how to stop it and they said i would have to upgrade ,the names were not even close to mine.

I upgraded to sky and any that may slip through 1 a month i mark as spam and they dont get through again

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 21:19:54 »
I have tried blocking them but it doesn't work as all the addresses are different. I have been deleting them

How have you blocked them, by the whole email eg, my@example.com or by the last part @example.com

Check the senders email to see if they are mostly from the same company and block the last part (if your not already doing it ;D )

Neil

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 22:14:38 »
Thanks everyone will look into all your suggestions.

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:04 »
I solved that problem by switching to Google mail. It catches all suspected spam and puts it in a different folder. You have the option of dumping or keeping it.
 Any mail that does get through to your normal in box you can report as spam and Google will catch it every time from then on.
 If you want a link to Gmail. give me a shout.
Ken.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 11:00:43 »
One word of warning though with spam filters...you do need to check through the filtered off mail as genuine mail sometimes goes there. I sold something on Ebay and the buyer didn't appear to be paying because both the ebay and paypal emails regarding that particular transaction were being filtered off meanwhile another transaction of which I was the buyer didn't get through so i didn't realise just thought my buyer wasn't paying!

I keep Gmail for friends only and get no spam.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal