Author Topic: Stolen Manure  (Read 23248 times)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Stolen Manure
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2009, 12:44:47 »
I think the second thing I would do if someone stole my manure is post here so that some of you might consider writing to me while I was staying in HM Hotels.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2009, 17:29:34 »
Well finally got to speak to one of the culprits today.

Didn't seem very sorry, claimed to have replaced all of manure with two bags of horse manure (my heap before I went on holiday was a 7ft across and 5 ft high flattish top dome i.e. it wasn't a pyramid shape the top was almost as wide as the bottom. You can of course see how big the base of the heap was as there is no grass on that area! Now it's about 6 inches high and 2ft across! Plus the replacement manure is of unknown origin and less than two barrow loads compared to the 40+ barrow loads I put there.

Continued to claim I'd hardly had any manure in the heap at all (despite witnesses saying they spent sevral hours scurrying back and forwards with wheel barrow loads before anyone asked what they were doing.

Then she reached in her pocket and pulled out a huge roll of £20 much to my astonishment....and said I'll tell you what i give you £20 as well as the manure we replaced it with...and smirked. I declined and walked off saying you got my note and I know exactly how much manure I had before you helped yourself.

I'm her attitude could only be described as smug I'm afraid.

The funny thing was she'd just had a huge load (4 tonnes someone else told me) and we spoke across her heap. I mentioned she had a lot of work to do to shift it because if people heard that she helped herself to my heap they might think they were justified in helping themselves particualry because her's was completely blocking the acces road!
She'll have a bad back tomorrow at the speed she was clearing that heap in the 2 1/2 hours I was there ....never seen anyone shovel so fast! ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2009, 20:32:57 »
report it to thePolice, they might be interested !
You couldn't make it up!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2009, 21:41:02 »
I can't believe that attitude!   :o 

At the very very least she should be barrowing some of her huge heap back to your allotment.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2009, 22:21:48 »
it might be contaminated let her keep it, anyway her time will come just wait. Kea do what feels right to you (in relation to reporting the issue, etc). and since you are next to such dishonest people it might be an idea to photograph and or mark things that might go for a walk (I like the idea of coloured beads in the heap), so you'll have evidence to back up your side of things if ever you need to again (hopefully you won't have to deal with stuff like this again).

velorex

• Not So New ...
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2009, 23:38:40 »
To reply to Old bird...yes I have spoken to many of the new plot holders when they started arriving.  I have offered strawberry plants back last Autumn, advice on what does well on my plot, given some general information about where to source manure, and generally (I think) been welcoming.  However, what I did not expect from some of them (not all) was the pushy, arrogant, I can get away with anything attitude and the "what are you going to do about it" way of life they have brought with them.

I now try and get to the site when there are less of them there so my pattern of visits has changed.

Last year I had 2 complete rows of new potatoes dug up and stolen and others have had stuff stolen too.  Not because of the new arrivals I am sure but suggest to some plot holders that the gate should be padlocked everytime they pass through it and what do I get...abuse

I have also regularly been to the AGMs but, as I don't shout, I get ignored. I just keep my head down and hope that what I plant comes up and I get the chance to harvest it.

A bit of common decency and consideration for others should surely not be out of the question

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2009, 23:42:39 »
Find the friendly people and cultivate them. The arrogant ones may be too arrogant to learn, in which case they may not last long!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2009, 06:14:47 »
I think that I would have taken the £20. If I was not going to report it to the police. It was an admission of guilt and even if they were convicted, I know that any 'fine' would not have gone into my pocket.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2009, 07:33:50 »
You do know that if you let them get away with this Kea they will steal from you again dont you?

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2009, 07:38:50 »
It is a shame you hadn't claimed it to be contaminated and you were leaving it for all residue to clear (3years or so) that would have wiped any smug looks off their faces.  ;D

MP

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2009, 13:08:59 »
I am a big believer in what goes around, comes around. They will get theirs and while i don't normally wish ill on people, lets hope it is sooner rather than later.   :)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2009, 20:50:55 »
It is a shame you hadn't claimed it to be contaminated and you were leaving it for all residue to clear (3years or so) that would have wiped any smug looks off their faces.  ;D

MP

Yes actually it is contaminated which is why I was planning to leave it for another 6 months but not with anything that would bother them too much. It was obvious when i got it that the cows had been treated with wormer as there were no worms in it even after 6 months.

I like the idea of coloured beads that's not a bad idea though they did confess. However their plot neighbour is my new best friend, she is very nice anyway and she feels intimidated by them and I'm guessing they won't like me popping over to say hello to her!

Tell me who carries about rolls of £20 notes at the allotment anyway? Looked like at least £200!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2009, 20:56:38 »
Most of the idea's people have suggested for retaliation are childish!!

I would report this because if they're happy to take your manure they may do the same with your crops! someone on our site took some of mine this week and the council has now issued him with a final warning.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2009, 00:19:05 »
Hi Kea, well at least you finally managed to speak to them and say your bit.
I'm with Thifasmom, take regular photos
And hope you have a good season on the plot

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2009, 05:51:39 »
Aha, so there is a twist in the tale. The manure they took was cow manure contaminated with a substance which kills worms.

May be the tale is not yet over.

They say God works on mysterious ways. So, perhaps time will tell. I will keep watching this space to see how you report their crops fair over the summer.

There are a lot of reasons why some one would be on site with a lot of money on them. I can't say that is good reason to criminalise some one.

siandc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2009, 09:28:17 »

MP

Yes actually it is contaminated which is why I was planning to leave it for another 6 months but not with anything that would bother them too much. It was obvious when i got it that the cows had been treated with wormer as there were no worms in it even after 6 months.

I like the idea of coloured beads that's not a bad idea though they did confess. However their plot neighbour is my new best friend, she is very nice anyway and she feels intimidated by them and I'm guessing they won't like me popping over to say hello to her!

Tell me who carries about rolls of £20 notes at the allotment anyway? Looked like at least £200!

I'd keep a close eye on what they grow then, it might not be your average fruit and veg!  :P

Good luck with this! >:(

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2009, 14:55:13 »
Oh Kea!

I am sorry that you have found them to be unpleasant and not embarrassed!

Takes all to make a world - as with other posters - hopefully - wait a while and they will get their come uppance! 

You will, I hope, savour any moments when things go wrong on their plot and each one will be worth a barrowful of your manure!

Old Bird
 ;)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2009, 15:34:43 »
Waiting for some sort of reply gave them the option of helping pay for most of my new manure! I'll give them 14 days from the day I left them a letter saying i expected compensation and that they could take their barrow load and a half of replacement manure of unknown source (provided them info on contamination of manure by aminopyralid!) so they understand why I don't want their stuff....also 1 and 1/2 barrow loads does not replace 40+ barrow loads anyway. If I don't get a reply i will just report it as theft the rest is their problem.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 20:16:32 »
Kea I'm not 100% sure but I think if you want someone to respond in a given time you need to put "time is of the essence" in the letter.
Janet

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2009, 23:08:19 »
Kea I'm not 100% sure but I think if you want someone to respond in a given time you need to put "time is of the essence" in the letter.
Janet
If you want a contract fulfilled by a specific date, yes, you need those words because time is not ordinarily an essentialy part of a contract, but when you're giving someone a chance to do the decent thing before you escalate matters, no, just giving them a reasonable time is what's necessary for you to be seen as behaving reasonably.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal