Author Topic: What animals can be kept on an allotment  (Read 7415 times)

thephilosopher

What animals can be kept on an allotment
« on: April 05, 2009, 20:32:35 »
I wanted to know what animals are allowed to be kept on an allotment plot. I wanted to keep about 4 ducks and some chickens - woudl this b a problem?

lewic

• Hectare
Re: What animals can be kept on an allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 20:41:01 »
Depends on your tenancy agreement. Ours allows chickens (not cockrels), bees and possibly rabbits, but you have to get the councils permission first. Nobody has taken them up on the offer.. or maybe they didnt get planning permission. Seem to remember there was a clause about no pigs, goats, cows or horses.

Fancy a shed full of kittens myself!

susan1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 20:44:28 »
It depends on the regulations for your individual area, others on our plots keep chickens a turkey and there are also a couple of pigs, but at daughters plot 5 miles away there is a no animal our fowl policy, so i suggest you find what you are allowed

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 20:55:10 »
The NSALG helps people to enforce their legal right to keep hens and/or rabbits on an allotment.  The right is conferred by Section 12 of the Allotments Act 1950:

"Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy or in any covenant, contract or undertaking relating to the use to be made of any land, it shall be lawful for the occupier of any land to keep, otherwise by way of trade or business, hens or rabbits in any place on the land and to erect or place and maintain such buildings or structures on the land as reasonably necessary for that purpose."

If you contact the NSALG, they will email you a copy of their information booklet on the subject.

www.nsalg.org.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 21:33:09 »
Our site allow a maximum of 20% of plots to have livestock.  This includes hens, geese, ducks and pigeons.  If you are one of the 80% who is not permitted to have livestock on your plot, then you can swap when one becomes available.  The 20% of plots are registered as being able for livestock.  No other plot is allowed.  You would have to move or wait at least double the time to get an allotment as livestock plots come up few and far between.

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 13:27:55 »
Depends on your tenancy agreement. Ours allows chickens (not cockrels), bees and possibly rabbits, but you have to get the councils permission first. Nobody has taken them up on the offer.. or maybe they didnt get planning permission. Seem to remember there was a clause about no pigs, goats, cows or horses.

Fancy a shed full of kittens myself!

There's not much eating on a kitten in my experience....

I'd love to have a pig on my newy acquired lottie to get rid of all the weed roots.... nothing like them for getting rid of couch and nettles.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal