Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE NEW GARDENERS' WORLD?  (Read 10559 times)

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE NEW GARDENERS' WORLD?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 17:39:15 »
It was OK as far as it went.   It would have been a good idea to have left an allotment size plot of land and shown people how to garden from scratch.  Explain not to put perennial weeds into compost bins etc, etc.  There's a lot of beginners out there this year, at least they've got great sites like this one to help.  I didn't have any one to help or advise me when I started and have made an awful lot of mistakes over the years. Several years on I'm still digging out of the clay, the couch that I chopped into a million pieces with the renovator in my first season  ::) ::) As for the windows more money than sense.  They should have a money saving section.
  Hope Alys little dog gets included.  Only time will tell.  What ever they do they wont please everybody. :D :D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 09:56:53 »
They should have a money saving section.

Get rid a Joe,he's money for old rope.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 18:17:19 »
The jurys out!

But I would love to have a house in a walled garden - all to myself!!  I can dream can't I?

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 21:01:09 »
enjoyed this weeks, much more informative  ;D

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 21:10:00 »
watched it for 1st time tonight ,and wasnt impressed at all.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 21:17:06 »
boring boring boring  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 10:02:02 »
Bring back Monty!!! :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:04 »
Can never make out why Alice wears those glasses. She would quite pretty if she just took them off! They are scary. £200 each for those raised beds - crazy. They must have picked the most unbusy time to go to birmingham. It looked like they were straight outside the NEC. Whenever I have been around there it has been rammed. I thought the guy with the roses was a presenter wannabe. You could see him trying to audition in the act!

Watched it last night and I quite enjoyed it.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 11:22:12 »
Quite enjoyed it but was amazed at how much they thought people would be willing to spend, especially in these hard times, on topsoil, raised beds etc. Found the contrived tensions and disagreements between Toby and Alys really irritating. They are trying - very trying.
Keep Calm and Carry On

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:27 »
I thought exactly the same- I think they did more to put people off growing their own veg! No mention that you don't actually need raised beds, or that you can grow lettuce in things other than grow-bags. And as I've said elsewhere, why give away carrot and butternut seeds which can be really difficult to grow?Shame Joe's plot didn't get more time, but that's just my bias.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 12:33:42 »
I only saw part of the first weeks show, but caught all of last nights. Agree with much of what has already been posted really, I was pretty shocked by the £55 'quick plant up' of the large pots, 'just pop out tomorrow and buy, buy, buy!' I bet that price didn't include the pots either!

The raised beds.....for a start they look like they are in the shadiest part of the garden, and I also baulked at the price! Overall I thought the programme was a strange mix of things, I quite like Alys as a presenter but she hardly looks at the camera which makes her appear coy.

Accosting people with a converted ice cream van in a city centre and getting them to try growing veg.......hmmmmm! I wonder how many people will actually grow all those packets of seeds he gave out.........at least they are trying to interest more people in it I suppose!

I quite liked the roses bloke, I thought he came over as very enthusiastic and knowledgeable and did seem to be a bit of a natural presenter!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 14:20:50 »
I thought that trying to get people to take seed packets, in the centre of Birmingham was silly. Judging by the number of people there it must have been about 6am Sunday morning.

Pushung seeds on people like fliers means they only end up in the local distbins !

I can't say I like Alys' glasses either, far too Dame Edna for me, but I shouldn't comment on other peoples idea of fashion as I had my fashion genes removed at birth.

The £55 quick plant up was for everything - pot, compost and plants. Whilst to me thats a lot of money; to many employed types, short of time, it does show what can be done easily and quickly. After all the Beeb has a duty to appeal to all types.
To balance this they should have money saving ideas for those with time, but short of cash.

It looks like GW has returned to the Titchmarsh days of money no object, last week the windows and doors, this the raised beds.

Not sure what that gardening club thing that Alys presented was all about. Just looked like a few Hippies sitting in a pub talking around a table - "Love and Peace, Love and Peace" and all that.

All in all, I thought it was an attempt to go back to basics. It sent me to sleep several times, but it wasn't so long ago that I didn't have a clue. It must also be frustrating for novices to have to sit though the detailed stuff that we enjoy.

Lets see what next week brings - I'm betting on a huge, unrealistic project, like a pond/lake, or 20ft deep, mile long boarders, with JCBs and engineering bods to do the construction.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 14:22:03 »
Well I enjoyed it, even switched over from Eastenders.  That programme has got really bad, think the person who writes it is on drugs.  Not suitable for children, trying to kill people etc.  Has anyone noticed that gardening has become the 'in thing' and TV seems to be putting more programmes on.  Allotment people are now very fashionable.

Old Ned

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 17:58:07 »
Wasn't impressed with last night's showing.  As said £55 just like that..........................not for me and me mates

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 18:21:40 »
Just watched it.  Recorded it.  Wish I hadn't bothered.   Agree with above comments that it was boring etc..

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 19:35:46 »
Can not believe we are into week two they start of showing you a great big open space that they will work on and all we have seen so far is about 4 raised beds tucked into a corner of the site for growing veg, and at £200 each of our licence payers money for them very expensive veg  :o :o :o. I suppose the rest of the site will be put out to the usual pond, wildlife haven etc. Come on BBC get some real gardening done.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 19:55:06 »
OH thought he was watching Cbeebies when Alys & Toby were bickering in front of the colourful "shed" whilst planting their grow bags.
Janet

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2009, 21:50:31 »
I liked some of the programme, the gent with the roses was fab , but then again I also grow old fashioned roses for cut flowers. ::)

I also thought the gardening in schools and Joe's lottie site being full was excellent news.

The rest of the programme as already stated was full of instant gardening which cost the earth.Any newbie inspired by this programme would soon come down to earth with a bump ;D /shades x
grow your own way

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 20:47:35 »
Watching as I write.

Had to watch some  precocious brat sowing tomato seeds..............PLEASEEEEEE
don't do this Gardeners' World. >:(

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 21:32:39 »
its a load of s**t  come back  monty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal