Author Topic: Surftime to Broadband  (Read 2803 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Surftime to Broadband
« on: September 11, 2004, 10:51:13 »
After waiting ages at last we have been offered Broadband. At present we use BTSurftime Evenings and Weekends. Has anyone any experience of changing from this service to Broadband?  We have a few questions that are not answered anywhere as far as we can see on the BT site.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re:Surftime to Broadband
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 11:35:52 »
I think we were on BTAnytime but at a measly 28.8k (the engineer was able to push it up to 30something) then we applied for broadband. They came and "updated" the phone line so we had 56k, but forgot to give us broadband. We applied again a couple of months later and the order went through almost straight away - think that was about 2? years ago and haven't looked back.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 12:54:14 »
We too were on anytime, and like Multi, love Broadband! ;D (a very good time waster on rainy days!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 13:10:50 »
We were on BT anytime but rubbish connections, speeds etc.  Switched over to broadband and not looked back.  Went with Virgin rather than BT and have to say Virgin have been excellent - no regrets.  Got p..d off with BT when they put up the price of anytime at the same time as announcing they were cutting back the number of hours it could be used.  This was 18 months to 2 years ago.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 18:09:05 »
Very lucky here, we have digital cable (Telewest) and all phonecalls (except to mobiles) anywhere in Uk come in at £25 per month inclusive of line rental. so don't give a thought to phoning sister up north for a couple fo hours at a time even in the morning.  Broadband is also £25 and that includes everything 24 hours a day 7 days a week and so fast.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 18:09:43 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 18:26:39 »
It is not the difference in quality between Broadband and non, it is the difference in cost which is hard to work out. Our present Surftime deal is about £7 a month. The cheapest Broadband(BT) seems to be about £13 a month. (I think). So if we go for that our bill should increase by the difference between the two, is that correct?

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 22:29:20 »
What a minefield!  Tried looking at various sites on line re BT Broadband and Surftime.  Few conflicting offers it seems.  The basic Broadband was £19.99 that I could see but on only one site did it "say" that free modem and set up were for customers transferring from other providers, people transferring from one BT service to the other would be charged £30 ???

I shouldn't be replying to this because I must have it all wrong - you have to get annother ISP who will also charge a monthly fee?  Basic allowance is only 1Gb a month then there are all sorts of charges if you should exceed this very small amount of space ???

Will read with intersst what happens .........
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 23:18:20 »
Yes, Broadband is more costly, but it's a better ie FAR speedier service - you gets what you pay for :).  HOWEVER, if taking the plunge cost-wise, be ensured your prospective ISP is offering not only internet service but e-mail capability also.  Sorry not technical but know a friend got caught by BT on this one.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 09:24:50 »
We use Telewest and get talk unlimited and all phonecalls (except to Mobiles, Local Rate 0845 No's and National Non Geographical No's) without any extra charge for £15.50 + £10 line rental.  Broadband £25 (with a super speed of 750K) per month. See link http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm

Roy ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 15:31:53 »
Thank you folks. :) Now I am really confused. It strikes me that we will probably not bother as we use the speed of the Internet very little, except when dowloading Updates from Microsoft. But thanks for the information anyway. :-\

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 09:12:11 »
Hi Eric........ISP REview will either help or confuse you.PlusNet have just started doing broadband for £15 a month. The readers forum..lots of impartial advice. My ISP is Tiscali £5 pm 8amto6pm not eves or weekends.. Daytime Plus (i.e. every day) comes out at £8pm.Another option, not for everyone, is the local library..broadband....free surfing but can't post....But your £7 a month sounds good value, but B.T...yuck.     I had phone trouble a few months ago...they insisted my fault so £75 to pay if  found so.It turned out seven people in the street had the same trouble, just a connecting overhead line needed attention.Con trick..or what....Cheers Ken

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 11:33:29 »
 Hi Eric little advice for what it is worth ,STEER CLEAR OF BT.
cheers Rosebud.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 15:14:24 »
I'll second that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal