Author Topic: Peat free alternative to JI2 and JI3  (Read 7233 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Peat free alternative to JI2 and JI3
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 13:07:32 »
Yes, I've used New Horizon for years and found it really good- but Wyevale didn't have any deals on itwhen I went so was swayed by the deal onthe Westland stuff, which I don't like as much- it's more "woody" than NH.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 14:02:52 »
I don't like the Westland stuff either, Caroline.  The New Horizon looks much better but as it's the results that matter I'll have to hold my counsel until I see the results later in the year.

Tee Gee thank you very much for your contribution to this debate.  I'm going to admit something now.  I hadn't realised that home made compost was 'loam'!  I don't know what I thought it was but this is music to my ears.  I've got about 200 litres ready for harvest so I'll be mixing it with peat free multi-purpose and adding organic slow release fertilizer as you describe.  You have made my day.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 18:22:35 »
Tee Gee thank you very much for your contribution to this debate. 

Your welcome!

I hadn't realised that home made compost was 'loam'!

Well it is and it isnt!

Loam generally comes from lawn turves laid on top of each other and left to rot for a year or so.

The stuff from the dalek is rotted down vegetative material and generally doesn't have any topsoil in it.

It is this topsoil in the JI that gives it, its particular characteristics.

To alleviate this I often empty plant pots into my daleks as the compost in these is often soil like.

So your dalek material will be loam like subject to what you recycle/compost in it.

Having said that; it is near enough for me and it contains a lot more humus & weight than soiless composts! and it is free!!

By the way; A word of warning ; your dalek compost won't be sterilised  so expect a few weeds popping up.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 19:38:16 »
Okay so you are stretching the truth a bit, eh?   ;) 

'Loam generally comes from lawn turves laid on top of each other and left to rot for a year or so.'

I knew that.  My lawn has been reduced to a mere 'path' now and I've had some wonderful loam from the turves but sadly it has all been used up.

'So your dalek material will be loam like subject to what you recycle/compost in it.'

The usual green and brown waste which I top off with a couple of inches of spent compost everytime I add new material. 

'Having said that; it is near enough for me and it contains a lot more humus & weight than soiless composts!'

That's what I'm after as soiless composts alone are no good for shrubs in containers.

'Your dalek compost won't be sterilised  so expect a few weeds popping up.'

LOL tell me about it! Still it's not really a problem providing you pull them when they are tiny - one advantage of a small garden I guess.  :)

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 21:06:20 »
There was a government study about 15 years ago into alternatives for peat. One of the best alternatives is actually composted ferns cut in late July just prior to them setting seed and then composted in large bins. It's been very noticible the lack of fields of growing ferns.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal