Author Topic: Going the Other way with potatoes. bigger spacing for bigger production  (Read 16274 times)

plainleaf

• Hectare
Robert_Brenchley sorry this thread was describing how my potatoes where planted. the only wind up was provided by other poster and the off topic posts.

cornykevin if you would like I will email you the book pages I metioned in a previous post.
 Moderation will be lifted after a suitable number of posts.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
OK plain leaf, what does it feel like to be sussed out, named and shamed immediately on your first post under a  new identity. Losing your touch or what? You cannot even grow tomatoes in tomato country never mind potatoes. You were soundly thrashed in your own local competition in the land where everything is big, except your produce.

The book, if it exists is a hoax just like you. The world has always been full of braggers and boasters, and some juvenile readers think that because it is printed it must be true. I grew a 500lb carrot last year but the mice ate it before I had a chance to photograph it.

By the way, It's raining here today.

Tattieman

• Half Acre
    • www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
What happens to the potatoes in the pit when it rains and the pit fills with water?

flossy

• Hectare

A gentle word to all newbies,  I have been enjoying your posts so much - new

allotments , what to plant - when and where  --  lovely pics of beginnings and

satisfaction at your hard work,  

Just now and then you get a poster who wishes to upset a successful , friendly  and

close knitwork of nice people  --  don't be put off by this person's wish to spoil things,

I have an ignore button and shall use it ,

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Hi Tattie long time no speak hows it going.  ;D ;D ;D  ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tattieman

• Half Acre
Hi Kev. Been really busy lately as there has been a big demand for 1.5lbs potatoes for some reason.

cornykev

• Hectare
You couldn't send us a few could you and I'll have a word with Harry and see if he could give you Hutton on loan for the rest of the season.  ;)     ;D ;D ;D

Tattieman

• Half Acre
Sounds like a good deal to me Kev. I think we will grow all our potatoes this year in 4 foot deep pits and harvest them with a jcb or maybe I could employ some ex miners?

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
Weed-Digga they think i am another poster who they started a fight with because he showed them up or there just interested starting trouble.

Oh, I see. Are you?
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

cornykev

• Hectare
What about some pot holers or excavators.   ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Ignore - resist - whatever - but every time, everybody joins in & prolongs the agony. Why not just let it rot? Don't press ignore - just resist the temptation to look. I dare you!!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
The book, if it exists is a hoax just like you. The world has always been full of braggers and boasters, and some juvenile readers think that because it is printed it must be true.

Colin Bowcock's book does exist although it is out of print, however although the 11kg (25lb) salad bowl lettuce Colin bowcock grew in 1974 is frequently mentioned as a record breaker the only mention of his 234 kg (515lb) yield of potatoes I can find are all made by one individual using various names to post on internet gardening forums, other than stating details can be found on pages 49-56 of the book in question no other evidence has been offered by the poster that the record does indeed exist.

As far as record potato yield goes there are numerous sources that state Eric Jenkins grew 168 kg (369.6 lbs) of potatoes from a single plant in 1974, this is said to be a world record that still stands today. If this record had been surpassed I would expect it to be mentioned somewhere.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
If the book is 'How to Grow Giant Vegetables', then there are a couple of copies on Abebooks.com. Unfortunately I'm broke; does anyone fancy finding out what it actually says on pages 49-56? I find it very hard to believe that if such a record exists it wouldn't be as well-known as the lettuce. That's out there on the net, so how come I can't find the spuds?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Yes that is the book there are a couple of copies on amazon marketplace too.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grow-Giant-Vegetables-Colin-Bowcock/dp/0902375563/ref=sr_1_1/277-2041372-3508211?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238160965&sr=1-1

I received a PM this morning with the subject "try the following other sources for bowcock info" which lists another source.
emailing guinness book
guinness book 1983-1987
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 13:37:21 by Baccy Man »

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
Baccy Man maybe the reason you can find very limited in on the record,is the record was set before the internet was in wide use.

guinness book 1980 blurb p 53
A yield of 515 lb 233.5 kg from a 2 1/2 lb parent seed by Bowcock planted in 1977

first paragraph from colin bowcock chapter on the potato record
                                                                                                 p49

516 lbs of Potatoes From one Seed potato

To grow this amount amount of potatoes takes a very large piece of
ground, at least 15 yards by 10 yards. Prepare the ground in the Autumn, digging
in two tons of cow manure, it should be left over the Winter for the frost to get at it.
During this time search for a large potato, preferably, one with 22 eyes on it. Don't Drop
or bang it as it will bruise easily.

ps if can't you can't afford  to buy the book try borrowing it from or going to the following libraries to read it.
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/16477598&tab=holdings?loc=uk#tabs  
lewic: wrong book.

Eristic you are wrong about book being a hoax and the 515 lbs record.
I wonder what else you have gotten wrong.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 15:23:30 by plainleaf2 »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
As I said, the lettuce is well-known, and out there on the net. So why isn't the incredible spud?

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
maybe the person who posted the lettuce info from the book was not interested in the spud at
the time.

amphibian

Eristic you are wrong about book being a hoax and the 515 lbs record.
I wonder what else you have gotten wrong.

You're American I take it?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
plainleaf =pain fella

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal