Author Topic: Update on "Shrews?"  (Read 7231 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re:Update on "Shrews?"
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 16:39:44 »
 ;DIt came back and bought his mate with him, probably for back up ;DA robin watched me change the water in the birds bath and before I'd finished pouring the clean in, it dived in, fluttered about beating its wings, ducked his head under, looked up as if to say oh you still there and carried on.I was more nervous than he was. ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 17:35:10 »
Oh birds are so sweet when they bath! And what a cheeky robin!

Mum and dad had a young robin in the garden earlier this year. We were chopping a few leylandii down and he would hardly wait for the tree to fall before he was darting about getting the bugs. They might be brutes to each other but I love their cheek and nerve! Your lot obviously know you - our feathered visitors are a little more wary I think. Except the blue tits who hang on the curtain valance over the patio door when it is open (was!!!).

Actually I think our local birds are having trouble finding our feeders at the moment because the clematis is getting rather rampant. I might have to cut it back a bit to encourage them now that the weather is cooling down.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2004, 17:28:25 »
 ;DHi Plocket. We don't have a cat though, thats probably why. They only have to see one next door and they stay well away. The dog doesn't seem to bother them ,they sort of do a lazy fly up then back down behind her, as if to say oh this silly game again.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2004, 18:48:44 »
Hi Val - the cat had slipped my mind! She is so rarely out in the garden that I had forgotten about her! But however infrequently she goes outside the birds are well aware that she is a resident of our garden.

Saw M&Ds robin today when we were picking damsons from their garden. He's a cheeky so and so! I think he was helping pick them!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2004, 10:19:23 »
 ;DThey become almost tame, it makes you wonder how they know the difference between friend or foe and they would remember the cat. I often think how big an area the birds actually fly round in, except for the ones that migrate. Do they have 1 or 2 gardens they 'own' or a couple of miles.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2004, 19:27:48 »
I would love some tamer birds in my garden but not to benefit the cat.

I'm very intrested in your comment
I often think how big an area the birds actually fly round in, except for the ones that migrate

I have sent the question to the RSPB in the hope that they will answer. Obviously they get a lot of queries and might not respond to mine, but if they do I will let you know.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2004, 11:52:33 »
Hi Val

I got the following reply from the RSPB this morning:
This is an interesting question because each species has its own strategy.
Robins and dunnocks have tight territories encompassing approximately one
and a half average gardens although boundaries may go into up to four
gardens. They do not seem to use topographical features such as fences to
define boundaries, hence why up to 4 or six robins are a possibility in
certain gardens. Blackbirds have slightly larger territories but they will
forage outside these territories anyway in response to food availability.
Other birds have breeding ranges that do not have strict territorial
boundaries although there is a discreet spacing of nests. Most of these
birds form winter feeding flocks that have set circuits providing food
remains constant in the circuit. Tits and finches follow this pattern, as do
starlings and sparrows although the former sometimes move away to big winter
roosts.

Not sure what size the average garden is but it's an interesting reply.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2004, 18:58:05 »
 ;DOh wow, I didn't realise the areas could be so small, that really makes you stop and think.The food available to them in their territories is so important then.so if there are woods down the road with abundance it doesn't always mean that the birds in your garden go there.Thats really interesting Plocket thanks, it also means that nesting sites and stuff we put out are even more vital than I thought. Also if there is water 3 miles away,say just for example, it would mean them having to leave their boundaries to find it. Thanks again.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2004, 19:06:32 »
Hi Val! Yes I was quite surprised at what a small area they cover as well. No wonder we are encouraged to feed them, especially in towns.

I found the RSPB site really interesting, and they do more than just look out for birds - www.rspb.org.uk

Keep up the good work!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 16:00:17 »
 ;DTthanks Plocket I've just been looking at the site, very interesting. I've added it to favorites.

Dorothy

• Not So New ...
  • Hi there!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2004, 16:34:19 »
I agree that the RSPB site is great.  All summer I've been watching the osprey nest at Loch Garten but the three young birds and their parents have now flown to warmer climes.

The site is full of information if you are interested in birds.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2004, 17:45:57 »
 ;DHi Dorothy it must be great to watch a rare bird in its natural habitat, I didn't realise they hibernated....you live and learn. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal