Author Topic: Where to plant what?  (Read 827 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Where to plant what?
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:55:32 »
Had another look round yesterday. It's 52' x18' & the 18' runs north to south. There are some very tall trees at the top which will cast some shade they are facing west. The only permanent thing on the plot is a huge blackcurrant bush. We were going to use the bottom 16' for fruit & the rest for veg but the middle part could be used instead. So far we have Autumn raspberries, poss 3 rows, 5 b/currant bushes, 1 row of rhubarb & 5 cordon fruit trees & 2 plums.
We will grow the usual veg, potatoes, carrots, runner beans, french beans, peas, brassicas, broad beans  , squash, & a few odd veg. I also have 3 small raised beds at home that i can use for salads, sweetcorn, strawberries, tomatoes & bits that don't fit at the lotty.
We are manuring the whole plot but as it's 4 year old cow manure can we still plant roots. Are there any crops we can fit between the rows of fruit. Sorry for all the questions but ATM it's a blank canvas.
Where would you experts plant things?
Janet.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Where to plant what?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:19:41 »
take some photo's of your plot at different times of day, this will let you know where any permanent shade areas are, remember the changing angle of the sun, as well, what's in full sun in summer can be in full shade in winter! I'd put in 10 4ft wide beds on your size of plot, running North / South.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:17 »
Thanks TB. Any other ideas anyone?
Janet

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:11:54 »
I'd be inclined to fit a grape vine in the fruit bit, but I love grapes  ;D
not sure about the manure, maybe take a drill out and put potting compost in?
have you got any walls around? you can fan train a peach against it  :)
sweetcorn will fit in with your beans and squash in a 3 sister's bed, going to the plot soon, will have a think  ;D

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 22:18:51 »
As the sun rises east to west the best orientation for plant rows is north to south, this gives the rows maximum sunlight.

That in mind, I'd put a path along the north edge and have 16'x5' beds across the width with small paths between.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal