Author Topic: Tips needed for compost bin  (Read 3059 times)

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
  • That's the pot planted, now for the veg ...
Tips needed for compost bin
« on: February 09, 2009, 21:13:16 »
Hi,  I could do with some useful input.  I'm just about to move to a brand new allotment (previously it was part of farmer's field) after sharing with a friend for a year. 

Apart from the actual fruit and veg, I need a compost bin to keep things tidy.  I can acquire some wooden pallets and figure I can put three together for back and sides, but have no idea how to attach the front so that it can be removed.  Anyone got any good ideas please? 

Whilst I'm a good diyer, working with wood is not my strong point (50+ female).   ???

archiesdad

• Not So New ...
Re: Tips needed for compost bin
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 21:26:12 »
Hi Pink Fingers

I'd tie the front pallet to the side pallets using some old rope or thick string. If using string wrap it round plenty of times so that you are in effect binding the front pallets to the side ones. The when you come to use the compost just cut the binding and the front pallet can be removed.

I would also reckomend fastening a piece of wood across the top of your compost bin (nailing it to each of the sides) so that it keeps the whole thing kinda square,

:)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 21:41:32 »
I was going to suggest the same, but cut the front pallet in half horizontaly so that it would not be so heavy to move.

Neil

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 22:12:44 »

hard to explain how Ray did ours, on the front of the pallet ends, he has nailed a piece of wood, sort of frame on the top and anothe piece in front of it, leaves a gap between, extra pieces are threaded in to make a front..I could try to take some pice on wednesday if it would help, you just slide the pieces of wood out as far down as you want  :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 22:45:37 »
we use a moriaty bag,link below,as many others here do,and it works a treat!! (and its free)

http://www.bluewisteria.co.uk/tools/compost.php

we have three on the go at any one time,and have just used out first compo,a proud moment in deed!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 22:57:43 »
What lovely people ... thanks so much.

I'll have a go at the lashing together principle, but don't I need to be able to get to it to turn it occasionally?  Also, should I put some carpet on top? I would ask some of the long term residents at the plot, but they can get a bit anal if things aren't done their way!

and ... I'll keep my eye open for moriarty bags (never knew they were called that)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:37:31 »
Hi Pink Fingers. We have just removed a wooden one from our site as we had 2 plastic ones at home that we wanted to use. The one we took down had wooden lats across the front but they were screwed in with philps screws. They would be easy to take when needed.
Janet.

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:40:16 »
I am a big fan of cable ties to secure the back and sides together. Very strong and won't rot. For the front I use a third pallet but only use cable ties on one side which are a little loose and just use a spike at the other side so that when I need to gain access the spike is removed and the front will swing round on the loose cable ties.
Hope this helps.
Woppa

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:00:03 »
I am all in favour of BIG compost bins. If you make it 2 pallets long and 1 wide, it won't need a front, you just pile the stuff up.

Are you planning a double bin? I have a double, so that the one brewing up des not receive fresh waste............that goes in the second bit.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:08 »
I'm a fan of Moriarty/ dumpy/ builders bags (or whatever you want to call them) They hold roughly 1cu.mtr and last for years. When not in use they fold up flat to save space. The only down side is that once full, you can't move them 'cos they're VERY heavy. Shovelling the stuff out of the bag is a bit of a pfaff, not as easy as a rigid bin, so you need to allow a little more time if you want to turn your heap over.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 14:17:30 »
This is how I built my last one. The front isn't too difficult.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

Ken.

Pink Fingers

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 17:15:11 »
Like the cable tie idea Woppa, reckon that will be the route I take.  Think I'll only need one this year, so can add another next to it next year. 

In the event that the Parish Council ever decide which of the new plots I'm going to get I'll start work on it.  Who knows, I may even take piccies.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 19:08:56 »
KK, that's how Ray made ours  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44:03 »
KK, that's how Ray made ours  ;D