Author Topic: Prostate cancer  (Read 3042 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Prostate cancer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 15:57:34 »
Apparently, government funding for prostate cancer awareness and treatments is less than 10% compared to that for women's breast cancer.  Not sure of the exact figures though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 16:55:26 »
I have waited for Moonbells' definitive reply because, although I've had 2 years of consultants & tests, I could not have put it better. I may have more information in a couple of weeks.

What I have not yet established is a typical base figure. All I do know is that, if you start at 7 & the next test is 7.1, you are fairly happy - given one's age - despite a DRE being positive. But when the next is 9 you get a bit uncomfortable! But maybe this is child's play? And the Consultant advises no more tests.

So then I think keep up with the Scotch & go like Sandy Denny. Then I re-think - but what about the Pension - & the Garden ..........??

Que sera, sera?? Be kind, be grateful for what has been, check your Will & get your filing system up-to-date??

Great news, Pauline.

= Tim
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 17:05:23 by tim »

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 18:22:07 »
Done.
Vony.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 18:25:20 »
The more we can do to raise awareness of this problem the better. Women seem to be more diligent regarding breast cancer than men do with testicular cancer.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

DAVIESFOZZIE

• Not So New ...
    • daviesfozzie
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 19:18:37 »
My Uncle was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in2008. He has a count of 11 what ever that means. A count of 10 or less means that he can be treated with certain drugs which are not so aggessive so he is on the cuspe. Anyway it seems he has had cancer for 2 years without any symptoms at all thats why it's called the silent killer. My uncle is 63 and i am 51 i asked for a test for prostate cancer but my practice nurse told me that i showed no symptoms rarther a contradiction. I will now insist for a test via my doctor and state it in writing the date and details i have made the request. 

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 21:31:09 »
daviesfozzie, you do not ask, you 'demand' the tests for prostate cancer.  It is your right.  If your practice is a bit iffy on providing the tests, then you should seek a second opinion.

valmarg

staris

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 00:15:06 »
signed, you all got my worried now my dad died a few years ago of prostate cancer after they told him there was no need for an opp, i'm 44 maybe i should think about having a test done.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 06:53:46 »
I don't want to worry anyone, I just think if the test was done on a routine basis like breast cancer is, then I'm sure  it would put folks mind at rest, I haven't a clue about test results but like cholesterol levels anything over a certain figure could be monitored ? Thank you everyone for your support in this, they've made the target for the petition to go through but  the more sigs the better.Have a great new year folks, happy gardening, I hear this summer is going to be a hot one, so get your water butts ready. Although how they can tell beats me.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 14:15:34 »
My OH has had Prostate Cancer.   This was 8 years ago.   His diagnosis was picked up by the rising PSA levels.  He originally went to the Doc about 10 yrs ago with low tummy pain.  The PSA tests started then and eventually he was referred to a Urologist when biopsies,, scans etcs were taken to establish where the Cancer was within the prostate.  Becuase he was young (54)  an operation was carried out and touch wood he has remained fine since.  He has an annual PSA check and should that figure move from 0   or 0.1 then we start to worry again.  However, as Moonbells has said everyone is different.  Some men can have a high PSA level but not have Cancer.  The Surgeon believed my OH took this cancer because it was genetic with his mother having had Breast Cancer.  Its just the luck of the draw. 
I signed the petition.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal