Author Topic: Missing members?  (Read 11149 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Missing members?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 18:14:41 »
I did put a newbie section on the suggestion page but it seems to have disappeared or did I imagine doing it. :P  If there was a newbie section with say ten basic most asked questions and answers it would stop basic repetitive questions, and if people please, they can go on and welcome all those who joined that week in one go and if you don't agree with it its quite easy you just give it a wide birth, well that's my three pennith for what it's worth.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 18:23:37 »
So now we've sorted the newbies out, what about the missing members?  Have they actually gone away or are just not posting.  I've seen quite a few unfamiliar names on line and when I've checked they've been around for a couple of years or so, but just haven't posted for ages.  And some people may be visitng without logging on.  We often seem to have a lot more guests than we did, say, a year ago. (But not tonight)!!!
The Tuscan Beaneater

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 18:35:56 »
Sometimes peoples circumstances make it difficult for them to find time to post on the forum. We are retired and sometimes have a job to find time to look in. Last year we had about 6 months where we had that many problems that we didn't really feel like coming on the site. Fortunately things improved and we had time to enjoy the site. I must say that although I have only actually seen 3 people from this site, there are many more that I think of as friends. I remember a post by Lorna asking where folks were and my name was amongst the missing members. I was really touched by the fact that we had been missed. Thankyou Lorna.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 18:36:47 »
Sorry my fault for going off thread a bit, I forgot about the missing members, I know of as least two that don't bother any more because of the constent bickering and personal attacks.  :(          ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 18:39:09 »
I miss you Shirl, if I don't hear from you at least twice a week.  ;D ;D ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 18:40:44 »
Well put Kev... The snide comments don't help anyone.

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 18:54:50 »

Ace --  aint bitin!       ;D    ;D    ;D    ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 19:08:58 »
Missing members? So many friends gone!  We DO miss them. Too many to enumerate. Just wish one knew why.

Oh, & PS - instead of a 'check list' for newcomers, why not a Heading suggesting WIKI or SEARCH. Not a bad start?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 19:12:09 by tim »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 19:20:36 »

Welcome Manics, have we met somewhere before?  ;)  ;D

A number of forums have a place for new people to announce their arrival but I think The Shed serves us pretty well here.  Like Kev I think it's common courtesy to welcome new posters if you notice their arrival.

G x
thank you, georgie.. ;D
I agree with ck, sometimes I go into a thread as I'm interested in it and it's full of back biting and nasty comments  :-\

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 19:23:14 »
Tim I agree with you, we do miss them.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 19:49:10 »
One that is missing is my niece Prink13 (Kathi).  She started a full time job in the spring and hasn't really had time to grow any vegetables this year.  She has taken up a new hobby, archery, and that keeps her out of mischief.  I miss her on here though.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 20:54:10 »
Hi Pauline. I guessed Kathi's new job was keeping her busy. I did think of popping in but thought she would be at work. Archery? Crikey I am not going to visit until she has had plenty of practice ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 21:32:27 »
She's had plenty of practice Lorna and I believe she is doing very well.  Her and John always seem to be out at tournaments.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 00:48:39 »
Missing member here!!  Though too long missing for many (or any) of the present posters to remember.  I joined early in 2004 and do still visit the site tho mostly as a lurker and do enjoy seeing old friends posting (Hi Tim! Hi Carol. Hi Rosebud! and HI, EJ)

I remember us getting all excited about membership reaching 1,000 and still smile when I think of some of the Quizzes we used to have in Chat - one set by Ina (Hi, Ina - I know you still lurk around sometimes too) was so hilarious I could hardly type for the laughter tears!

There were wee spats too and a couple of big ones which resulted in bannings which I trust has never needed to happen again but all in all it's a great site - long may it flourish, Dan.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 00:51:21 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:12 »
Sorry my fault for going off thread a bit, I forgot about the missing members, I know of as least two that don't bother any more because of the constent bickering and personal attacks.  :(          ;D ;D ;D

I can think of two members (or was it one? or perhaps even three?) [mustavagander/penwortham115]

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 07:08:42 »
Doesn't the amount of work outside have a bearing on the time available to spend on the forum?  I would think that with winter, and the shorter daylight hours, some of the "quieter members" will be on here more often!

I'm a very quiet member - one who visits often, either logged in or not - but I don't want to  get involved in certain threads because of the nasty comments. And I'm not confident that my knowledge (VERY basic that it is) is of any use to anyone else!    I am very grateful though for all the good advice I've had when I have asked a question!   :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 08:11:45 »
since this thread is here, does anyone hear from gunnerbee?
i have tried messaging :(
if anyone does talk i would love to have contact
lbb

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 09:13:03 »
  My daughter Bunjy hasn't been on for quite a while cos she's got other fish to fry.lol. The fact is that she is not a natural gardener. Tony and I do it cos we love all aspects of gardening. ( I honestly don't think I could survive without it). She does enjoy growing the veg it's just that she has to push herself to get cracking at it.
Going back to Lindsay's post. When someone asks a question on here. The answers that they get help more people than themselves. Nobody can know all there is to know about gardening.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 09:22:04 »
John Miller....

Miss his informative input :'(

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:27 »
I am not considered a newbie however  I am not experienced on these forum thingies and can find it quite intimidating :-[. I enjoy reading a lot of the banter, wished I could join in more but feel as though I am intruding.  I do agree with Lindsay sometimes I cringe :o at some of the comments and would hate to be on the receiving end - obviously a sensitive sole.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal