Author Topic: Who knits then???  (Read 10632 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Who knits then???
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 18:25:54 »
I think you check the tension by knitting a square in stocking stitch that's bigger than 10 cm square, then mark a row, count 10 cm then mark that row, and then do the same for columns.  That way you'll know whether you nit tightly or loosely.  If you have too many to the 10 cm you knit tightly, therefore need larger needles to get the right tension, if you have too few you knit loosely and would need smaller needles.  Or knit a larger or smaller size.

I'm just off for a lie down.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 18:30:54 »
Georgie, Pearsons do sell wool, I think it on the top floor, poked away in a corner.  They used to have cheap double knitting wool as I used to buy it when I had a phase of knitting soft toys.  Charity shops sometimes sell it.  Was the one in Lancaster Road so full of wool you couldn't get in and the woman could never find anything. Not surprised it closed down.

Oh right, I'll have a look tomorrow.  Er, are we using 'wool' or the synthetic stuff btw?

IIRC the shop was quite large and on the corner of Browning Road (?) and the woman was very helpful.  I don't think they made a lot of money as there was hardly ever anyone in there which was a shame really because they could always be relied upon for embroidery silks, buttons etc which my daughter used to need for various school projects. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 19:22:38 »
Basic acrylic double knitting yarn  worked on a  4mm  needle  (old UK 8 or US 6)  tensions at 22 stitches x 34  rows will give you a 10cm (4 inch) square.This is worked on stocking stitch.

Some of the fancier yarns with silk, pure wool and cotton blended in can be slightly different but are expensive too.

Basic acrylic is cheap, colourful and washes well, if wool is mixed in when the blankie is washed it might shrink and the blankie will  be puckered in the places where the wool is. Better to stick to regular acrylics and double knitting.

It can be found in most places Woolies, Boyes, Wilkinsons, anywhere really that seels yarn.

An 6 inch square makes a good size for a patchwork blankie in basic stocking stitch, so  33 stitches and 50  rows should give you that.

If you knit tight use a size bigger needle and if you knit loose knit a size smaller, this way the squares should be more or less the same whoever makes them.

4 ply needs to be 28 stitches x 36 rows on  3.25 needle old UK10, US 3) will give you 4 inches but the square will be a lighter weight than in DK.

Hope this helps.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 19:25:40 »
Well that serpently helps me  ;D
Thanks Jeannine.
Smile, it confuses people.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 22:30:48 »
ok, seems like there are a few of us.

soooo, what size squares?
could have done one by now

is it ok to do a patern or a fancy yarn as long as i can get the size the same?

lbb

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 22:36:38 »
How about doing this ?
http://brilliantbritain.blogspot.com/2008/11/help-knit-worlds-biggest-tea-cosy.html

Flighty that looks like a worth while cause to me but perhaps it's best posted in a separate thread so that it doesn't get mixed up with this one?

G x
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 22:59:04 by Georgie »

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 22:47:04 »
Im not a great knitter but a group of us knit for 'Bonnie Babies' charity that knits for premaure babies and the sad fact that babies die and the mums need to hold their babies to say good bye, the hats ect are so small and so fast to knit and take very little wool.
Have a look and please if you can knit give a hand its a lovely thing to do for familys at a tough time  :)

http://www.bonniebabies.co.uk/

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 22:54:05 »
Hi flowerofshona2007
that sounds like a lovely idea,
i think that star would realy like to do a blanket first though
maybe when the people who havent knitted for the last 20 years start again
they will rediscover it and go on to making other things

lbb

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41:41 »
At the moment I will pause on doing this until the New Year. But watch this space.......thanks for the interest to those who have posted ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 14:15:16 »
I can knit but no needles or wool in house but can buy it somewhere!!!  Put my name down.  The look on OHs face when he sees me knitting will be priceless.

C   ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 14:26:48 »
I would be very pkeased to do some knitting for you.  Just give me the instructions love.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 18:12:08 »
I can't even spell god help me with the bluddy knittin
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 08:26:28 »
Georgie I've just seen your comment!
Now I know that there's lots of knitters here I'll do that.
Thanks! xx
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:10 »
Count me in aswell.  Have loads of odd balls  :o  which need using up.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 23:33:07 »
A couple of tips for those of you who haven't knitted for years.

When casting on insert the needle between the two last cast on stitches. This gives a very neat and firm bottom edge to the knitting.

Start each plain row with one purl stitch and each purl row with one plain stitch. This gives a good edge for joining two pieces of knitting together.

hth

Tricia

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 11:54:03 »
Duly noted Tricia,thanks. Going for a ferret in the attic now, got a bag of wool the size of England in there.(well a large M&S bag at least ;D) All I need now is something worth watching on the tele.
Smile, it confuses people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 17:17:21 »
Cast on, then knit the next row knitting into the back of the stitch.  My mum taught me.  Gives an even edge. I think we are going to get a lot of different size squares, unless we check the wool, needles and what tension we knit at.  Sounds a bit too complicated for me.  Next door does lovely, lovely crochet rugs but even though mum taught me still can't do it.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 17:26:19 »
Crochet is much easier Borlotti, you've only got one stitch to drop. ;D

valmarg

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 17:39:04 »
Well, now it gets dark early and the allotment can look after itself for a while I will learn to crochet. I can do a plain row but not much else.  So used to having two needles not one hook.  I love some of the crochet work and people who can do it make it look so easy.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 17:52:34 »
my mum used to crochet lace, never got off wool myself, mind you, I used to make all the babies boottees and jackets  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal