Author Topic: Broccoli  (Read 1331 times)

vicstar

• Not So New ...
Broccoli
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:57:37 »
Well it is time again to rethink the plot and this year i didnt have enough green, and as the only green my hubby likes is broccoli that is what i have ben ordered to grow.
my orders were broccoli of any sort sprouting or normal so any recommandations would be good something that likes the yorkshire climate. So please help and thanks for reading ;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:22 »
There are several over-wintering sprouting brocollis (most are purple) that produce quantities of small heads from early March onwards. Its a bit late to sow but if you could pick up some plants from somewhere you might get a reasonable yield in the spring.

There is also Brocolli Raab - it only produces small green heads but grows really quick and they are very tender (you can eat the leaves too). If you can get hold of some seeds I'd give that a go now.

Its probably too late for Calabresse (the large green-headed broccoli sold in the shops) again unless you can get hold of some plants - but these would be great to sow in the spring.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:42:02 »
I prefer the Calabrese,  the large green round headed type you but in the supermarket.  The sprouting broccoli spends too much time in the ground and takes too much space.  Some varieties are here:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/search.html?section=seeds1&search=calabrese

http://www.kingsseeds.com/Ko-transact/productlist.asp?as=True

Sampson is supposed to be one of the better varieties. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 13:24:09 »
we like the calabrese but also, romanesco..pale green, alien-looking things, easier to grow than cauli and they freeze, too

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 17:48:58 »
Although it is not technically "green" Purple Cape cauli grows well late into the season and over winters... it goes green when you cook it!
 ;D

vicstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:58:18 »
Cheers everyine for taking time to answer hubby will be pleased will go on a mission for plants after works.  Thanks

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 19:16:34 »
1. Mostly PSB? Only because folk haven't appreciated the delight of WSB!!

2. P/WSB takes up too much space? But it crops for 3 months - as opposed to most other varieties, which may be in one tidy row, caterpillars willing, but which all come in at the same time & you spend hours trying to pass them on to your friends?

3. Do agree that Romanesco is about the only one that freezes acceptably.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 19:48:59 »
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal