Author Topic: LINCOLN LOTTIE UPDATE  (Read 6159 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
LINCOLN LOTTIE UPDATE
« on: September 19, 2008, 22:40:04 »
After talking to a few Lincoln City councillors it appears Boultham Glebe allotments (where I garden) are safe,as it is a popular site with a waiting list,

If you have a lottie in Lincoln on a site that isn't full and is overgrown you may have a problem as I get the feeling the council are holding back in offering these plots to budding allotmenteers , I quote 'even if we rotavated the plot and gave free rent for a year it would be too much hard work for someone to take on'

Now my plot hadn't been worked for donkeys years, we cleared it ourselves and we didn't get the offer of rent free for a year,the site was overgrown and not all the plots were taken .All the plots are taken now.

remember next important council meeting at the Guildhall on 14th October, questions to be submitted beforehand to City Hall by 7th October. / shades x
grow your own way

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: LINCOLN LOTTIE UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:37:05 »
, I quote 'even if we rotavated the plot and gave free rent for a year it would be too much hard work for someone to take on'

And just what percentage of plot holders have had this opportunity or receiving a rotavated plot?   Much lower than those who have taken on a jungle i bet. ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:37:06 »
Angle Shades,
                        you are correct in what you say about allotments not being taken on it just gives the Councils an excuse to get rid of them, in our case on one side of our allotments we had an housing develepment and the builder in his wisdom put in a road which stops just short of our allotments just in case our allotments come under the hammer and we start to have similar problems like the folk of Lincoln.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 19:15:33 »
, I quote 'even if we rotavated the plot and gave free rent for a year it would be too much hard work for someone to take on'

And just what percentage of plot holders have had this opportunity or receiving a rotavated plot?   Much lower than those who have taken on a jungle i bet. ;D
You are (at least were) always offered a free rotovation when you take on a plot in Lincoln - worst thing I did was say yes. 

I can see a letter to the Echo along the lines of - if you want a plot - don't take no for an answer, and that lotty holders in Lincoln should resolve to help new plot holders wherever possible.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 18:53:02 »
A similar situation in Grantham, on the local East mids news tonight allotment holders had the TV cameras there,

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 22:43:51 »
Mr Smith- our site is on the front page of the Lincolnshire Echo tonight, I'm not sure the plot holders involved are going about this in the right way, and I don't believe our site is at risk, Radio Lincolnshire followed this story up and went to talk to plot holders this pm

Its not just allotments the Tory council are targeting, they are taking funding from Lincoln Theatre Royal,want to close leisure centres and swimming pools >:( :o seems crazy to me.

I have been told Yarborough allotments have a waiting list, but the lotties next to the houses don't appear to be up for rent and no one knows why 

the council are definitely getting rid of three allotment sites in Lincoln, unfortunately a relation of mine is in a top position at Lincoln CC and when I phoned him as I thought he was on our side(his Grandad had a plot for many years on our site and the old boys fondly remember him) he was very cold and dismissive of allotmenteers and couldn't understand why so many people turned up to the executive LCC meeting concerned about their allotments 'when a lot more important things were on the agenda' but on the plus side he did get Councillor Keith Weaver who has the allotment portfolios to phone me.

If you are worried about your lottie site in Lincoln get in touch with him and go to the meeting at the Guildhall on October 14th/shades x
grow your own way

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 01:50:15 »
  our site is on the front page of the Lincolnshire Echo tonight,

Any chance of a pic so we can all have a read ?

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 17:40:41 »
 :)
PW haven't a clue how to do that ::) I do well just to log the pc on.,

journalists and a TV crew at our site today/ shades x
grow your own way

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 17:49:33 »

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 18:47:22 »
thanks for the link RC, as you can see some of our plot holders are taking the subtle approach in our talks with the council ........

what did your e-mail to the echo say?

BTW your blog needs updating ;D / shades x
grow your own way

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 23:22:42 »
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/education/Secret-weapon-fight-save-allotments/article-354632-detail/article.html

BTW, the Echo has not published the email I sent on Tuesday.

Shouldn't allotment holder Fred Hyde have said: "We will fight them in the (double dug) trenches." ?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 15:41:54 »
clanger-they wont rotovate any new lotties now-phew!maybe it'll stop the couch spreading?!

half our plot has been earmarked for quite a few years for building(yarboro a)and altho there are at least half a dozen plots free,when i spoke to a chap who came looking for a plot(he'd reached the top of a waiting list of 27)there were only 3 marked to chose from
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 15:43:50 »
o and i'd heard that another possibility was that continental landscapes might be taking all the allotments on to manage-one of the bosses visited our site and said to one of our lot-'well-all these tatty ol' sheds'll have to go for a start!'
whaaaaatttt????
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 15:44:53 »
anyone got any idea which of the lincoln lotties are in danger?
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 16:47:22 »
your letter to the echo was  very well put RC  :-*

Kitty- I've also heard Continental  landscapes may take over the plots and that we can sell manage, lots of rumours flying around,

you have confirmed what i was told, that Yarborough has a waiting list but the plots near the houses are still free.. why?

as i said earlier in this thread the council appear to have stopped the rotovate and rent free option at some lottie sites...why..?Councillor Weaver told me it would still be too much like hard work for some people,but budding allotmenteers don't seem to be getting the choice/ shades x
grow your own way

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 21:12:39 »
And I was just about to post a link but you have seen it already. Oh well - here for everybody else:
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/letters/Allotment-sell-leave-sterile-city/article-358892-detail/article.html

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 05:09:35 »
the joint deputy leader of Lincoln Council Labour Group has written to the echo

confirming most of what is on this thread and also saying there are 220 people on the lottie waiting list in Lincoln/ shades x
grow your own way

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 13:10:48 »
you have confirmed what i was told, that Yarborough has a waiting list but the plots near the houses are still free.. why

iwas told it was kept free to sell on as development land and that the council had bought one house that was for sale on yarborough crescent next to a lottie gate(now unused)so they could have road access-theres been no-one on the end of our site for about 10 years now.....
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 22:40:31 »
I notice from the website that the Lincoln lottie debate has been in tonight's echo, mentioning certain sites that are not been worked by more than two or three people so could be sold off,even though they have waiting lists >:( >:(

has anyone seen the full story in the paper ?/ shades x
grow your own way

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 13:21:20 »
there is a meeting at Castle ward working men's club on 19/11/08 at 7.30 about  keeping the allotments in that area, re Geoff Tann Lincolnshire  Horticultural Society,

remember if your site only has a few plot holders and it overgrown, you are going to lose it .The present City Council just isn't interested in clearing and showing plots to the 200 folk on Lincolns Lottie waiting list when they can pretend no one is interested and sell off the land./ shades x

grow your own way

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal