Author Topic: who's in charge??  (Read 1449 times)

KLCG

• Quarter Acre
  • Godalming Surrey
who's in charge??
« on: September 11, 2008, 12:24:37 »
Just spoken to the people at the council about having chickens on my plot and i was told it was aloud but a plot holder already had chickens on site so I may or may not be aloud to have some too.   :o how is that fair?? I was told to write to a certain person for permission.  I have just spoken to someone who spoke to the allotment commitee for our site and he was told by the commitee that chickens were not permitted??  So who is in charge?  who's say is correct?  i was only thinking of having 2 laying hens for the manure and the eggs, trying to go as self sufficient as possible.
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude!

jonny211

• Acre
Re: who's in charge??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:45:34 »
What does it say in your allotment contract? I guess the contract has the final say.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: who's in charge??
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 14:40:15 »
Ultimately the council are in charge unless they have delegated certain powers to your committee.  Get a copy of the council rules as they will supersede those of your committee. 

Our site allows a maximum 20% of plots to have livestock.  These are predesignated numbered plots.  If lottie members want hens they have to wait for one of them to become available,  but can still have a plot to cultivate for the interim.  Downside to this is that you could be offered the change midway through the season.  I gave up a previous plot one February after clearing and preparing the ground for spring sowings.  Left all my overwintering onions and spring cabbages behind.  Yes I was a bit gutted.  But it was a small sacrifice to pay to be able to have hens.  I split my rhubarb crowns to take with me to my new plot ;)).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 14:42:59 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal