Author Topic: Anyone tried the big drippa kits?  (Read 2743 times)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Anyone tried the big drippa kits?
« on: September 09, 2008, 17:45:39 »
Thinking of getting some as really hit by blossom end rot this year.

Has anyone tried them?

How long could you leave them before having to fill up?

Are they worth it ?( not a huge amount of money to spare at the mo., like everyone else, so don't want to buy something that will be useless)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
Re: Anyone tried the big drippa kits?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:26:35 »
hiya, we have a dripper system set up from the outside tap, from wilkos. it's on a timer aswell.  you only need to turn the tap 1/4 - 1/2 turn on so it does as it should! drip! it's just lenghts of thin tubing with dripper ends that you can set up however you want really. mine's on my hanging baskets, and I have 19 altogether. i think O/H used 2 kits, with some extra end bits. it's worked a treat in the hot weather. i put squares of those kitchen clothes, the absorbent ones so the drips goes on that then the cloth spreads it about and also acts as a mulch to stop too much water evaperating.  it's been a godsend! no worries about watering, and we even went away for 2 weeks and everything was fine (prob a little to do with the rain aswell lol!)  i was gonna set it up in the greenhouse aswell, instead i used a hose pipe dripper thing, the one where it seeps out the pipe. I put it along the roof on a timer from the water butt to emulate rain! needs a bit of tweeking for next year but so far so good!

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:19:17 »
I got one last year, intending to set it up in the polytunnel, but never did.  Next year, definitely.  Here are the instructions which I copied, it has more informative about how it works than the adverts give.
[attachment=1][attachment=2]
The Tuscan Beaneater

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 13:30:52 »
Thank you,

Will try and see whether Santa will get me some.... ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:24 »
If you have a BigW (woolworths warehouse) near you then it might be worth a look.
I got a simular system from there containing 25m pipe,10 drip ends, various t/straight peices and a conector for the tap for £2 in their clearance section, so i bought 5.

One item was enough to do a 4.4m x 1.5m bed, with loads left over.
I did not use the drip ends, just run the pipe up and down the veg bed with loads of holes in using a corkscrew i had on site. This gave a fine spray that covered the hole bed.

Neil

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 20:32:52 »
hiya, we have a dripper system set up from the outside tap, from wilkos. it's on a timer aswell.  you only need to turn the tap 1/4 - 1/2 turn on so it does as it should! drip! it's just lenghts of thin tubing with dripper ends that you can set up however you want really. mine's on my hanging baskets, and I have 19 altogether. i think O/H used 2 kits, with some extra end bits. it's worked a treat in the hot weather. i put squares of those kitchen clothes, the absorbent ones so the drips goes on that then the cloth spreads it about and also acts as a mulch to stop too much water evaperating.  it's been a godsend! no worries about watering, and we even went away for 2 weeks and everything was fine (prob a little to do with the rain aswell lol!)  i was gonna set it up in the greenhouse aswell, instead i used a hose pipe dripper thing, the one where it seeps out the pipe. I put it along the roof on a timer from the water butt to emulate rain! needs a bit of tweeking for next year but so far so good!
How do you get the water from the butt up into the roofline. Is there a pump? I'm trying to picture this set-up...
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:39:22 »
Grannieannie

Sorry for the delay.  yeah, we have a  pump, took my OH ages to find a suitable one off the internet. one of the ones that he got sounded like a jet plane going over lol.  it is a submersible and non-submersible pump, i think about £30.  it is attached to the hose and to the outside electric box that OH put up. worked brilliantly!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal