Author Topic: wild raspberries  (Read 1154 times)

joie

• Not So New ...
wild raspberries
« on: August 10, 2008, 09:27:03 »
hi can any one give some advice on the wild raspberry plants we have on our lottie. we cut them back last year and moved them, we`ve had no fruit of them this year but loads of new shoots. what do we need to do with them this year should we cut them back again or just leave them alone? any advice would be great thank - joie

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: wild raspberries
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:02:20 »
Hi there

As you have new shoots and no fruit, that would suggest it is a summer fruiting variety which fruits on wood made the prevous year.

So leave it alone for now and in early spring, cut back the tips by about 6" to encourage branching and more fruit.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:29:57 »

So leave it alone for now and in early spring, cut back the tips by about 6" to encourage branching and more fruit.
I have never heard that before.  Is that for all summer fruiting varieties ?

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:41:07 »
Hello Davholla
All summer fruiting raspberries fruit on last years growth. Therefore all the canes which have fruited this year will be dead and should be removed. The new canes can be reduced in height in the autumn after the leaves have dropped or in the spring. I tie mine to a wire and reduce in height to about 5' in autumn.
Autumn fruiting raspberries fruit on the current seasons wood so are usually pruned in early spring down to ground level.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal