Author Topic: How are your tomatoes doing!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 44511 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: How are your tomatoes doing!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2008, 16:28:15 »
Well one of my Italian neighbours has 230 plants (indoor & outdoor) We did do a sort of 'calculation' about it all the other week, but all he's bothered about is getting loads off the plants and bottling it all for pasata.

He uses the lot (or Mama does) every year as well (apart from last year when they all got blight)

I think calculations are a bit pointless really ... unless you're SUPER COMPETITIVE??!!

Naming no names  ::)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2008, 17:31:57 »
More grist to the mill!

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2008, 17:52:45 »
Calculation help judge how many plant you need to provide
the production you need to fill a need.
With it garden is brought down to the act of picking a few snacks and hacking weeds.
Which might good for some but a waste time in eyes of others.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2008, 18:42:06 »
Well one of my Italian neighbours has 230 plants (indoor & outdoor) We did do a sort of 'calculation' about it all the other week, but all he's bothered about is getting loads off the plants and bottling it all for pasata.

He uses the lot (or Mama does) every year as well (apart from last year when they all got blight)

I think calculations are a bit pointless really ... unless you're SUPER COMPETITIVE??!!

Naming no names  ::)

Trixie, I have to agree regarding calculations as far as counting the amount of veg you get but not when it comes to calculating when a certain veg will be at its best.

Calculation help judge how many plant you need to provide
the production you need to fill a need.
With it garden is brought down to the act of picking a few snacks and hacking weeds.
Which might good for some but a waste time in eyes of others.

TGG do i get an answer to my question or do i get another question.

I would love to see some photo,s, this may help me improve on my tomato growing.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 18:44:31 »
Sorry Tim  ::)  :)

TGG: Well live and let live is what I say!  I don't even LIKE tomatoes ... and it amuses me NO END when someone such as your good self  comes on to a forum like this and pontificates about them!

How about joining in and ...

.. nooooo! I take it all back!

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 18:54:45 »
I am huge great fan of tomatoes but then again I am not a tomato taste snob like some.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2008, 18:59:44 »
Well you obviously go for quantity not quality TGG. Nothing to say that's WRONG or anything. What is classed as tomato 'snobbery'?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2008, 19:03:59 »
Hi Trix... seems I am chasing you round the board today.

My two penneth here, is that I have 42 varieties..1 or 2 per type only as we are not using lotties  this year.

Most are green  and just starting to turn but the Tumblers have almost finished now, grown under lights  with heat  and started before Christmas they have been fruiting a long time, not the best taste in my opinion but they are fast maturing and they get us very earlies if we mess about with them. I usually only grow two of these to tied us over .

Whippersnappers, new to me are loaded and probably very early. I think next year I will use those instead of the Tumblers.

We have had a few Piccola but not many yet.

We started way behind this year apart from the Tumblers and a couple of minis that have long gone too so on the whole we are doing just fine here. Certainly nothing to brag about but we are happy especially as it looked as if gardening was off the agenda totally for us this year.

You all sound as though you are doing very well..well done to you. I am a bit envious of  you lucky lottie growers, but next year..

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2008, 19:05:24 »
those who argue which variety tastes best compared to some other variety.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2008, 19:08:25 »
?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2008, 19:10:50 »
Oh shut up you thingy!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2008, 19:11:44 »
thingy = ****

Admin here - the profanity filter is easy to get around - but please don't!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:27:33 by Admin aka Dan »

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2008, 19:12:28 »
NOT YOU JEANNINE!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2008, 19:13:38 »
Was that meant for me...LOL...don't answer that

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2008, 19:14:48 »
Oh good, .I will leave you on the Christmas card list then

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2008, 19:36:55 »
I do find all this of interest - it would be nice to do better.

But there's a limit. 230 x (say) 8lb = 1840lb/6 = "306 qts" = 612 pound jars = 1.5 jars per day!

Well, Italians do have extended families??

I'm glad  that I gave all our jars to Sarah, the Supersprout. And nice to think that Son, Will,  learned the ropes of Passata making from her. Been there, done it - too much hassle these days.

As for us, it's our worst year. Three lots - 6 Gardener's Delight from seed, & 6 each of Black Krim & Costoluto Fiorentino plants are a disaster. Plus 3 Cucumber plants. For no apparent reason.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2008, 11:50:24 »
Just to add my fourpennyworth and throw a spanner in as well!

Surely it depends to a large degree what variety you are growing?!  My beefsteak tomatoes are getting huge and I would expect - even though I don't bother with weighing things - that I would get well in excess of 15- 20lbs per plant?  Whereas the more plentiful Gardeners Delight produce masses of tomatoes but weight wise probably would not come close to the weight of the beefsteak ones!

I don't understand all this competetive thing about who has more or is better than - and a few getting very hot under the collar - to me it is all nonsense!

Old Bird!

;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2008, 11:52:30 »
still on the original question here, ha ha
I planted FAR TOO CLOSE!!!
but it doesn't seem to matter as they are filling up with toms! Especially the cherry tomatoes
note to self - next year, plant cherries in little chicken wire "pots" to keep them upright and not spreading all over the shop.

I planted Marmande, herzfeuer and gartenperle, which are covered in MASSES of tiny green things!! (toms, not caterpillars).
I didn't prune very well or for that matter tie them up especially succesfully, but they are doing their own thing it seems. Too many for salads, well they will go into ratatouile, passata and home made salsa and frozen cherry tomatoes for pies.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:55 »
What gets me hot under the collar is this. I have a father with a large tumor and a poor prognosis for long life, my business is really struggling due to the state of the mortgage market, I'm in court in 2 weeks having to prove my innocence in order to avoid a 4 year prison sentence, and I come on here for some pleasant company and a bit of gardening related escapism.

Then some tit comes along and wants me to argue with him about tomatoes and squash, picking fights with anyone who questions the validity of some of his claims and generally causing friction... he then moans when anyone tells him to pull his head in... I wish I had such poxy little things to worry about!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2008, 12:20:50 »
{{{{OllieC}}}}

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal