Author Topic: What we have....  (Read 1615 times)

yekim

• Not So New ...
What we have....
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:09:30 »
Hi everyone, this is my first post (sorry if its long).  We dont have an allotment however our garden is 120ft long by 35ft wide at its widest point, and heres what we have done so far. 

We purchased one of those walk in plastic greenhouses in which i was growing some toms, peppers cucumbers and lots of other seedlings that were doing well, until yesterday that is, the high winds, it wasn't the cover that blew away or poles bent, but the actual plastic holders that poles slot into they snapped the structure then collapsed onto the plants inside snapping toms, breaking pots and generally causing a disaster  :'(.

So heres what ive decided to do, carry on sorting the very back of the garden ready for next season for veg, and invest in a greenhouse, i was thinking maybe a 14ft * 8ft wide.

I have a lot of questions which i will write down as they come to me and bombard everyone with them (if thats okay)

Cheers

Mick

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What we have....
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:55:28 »
Hi, yekim, welcome to the site, brilliant sized garden, shame about yur plants, questions ? fire away, lots of helpful people on here

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:58:53 »
Welcome to A4A. Wish these strong winds would go away!! There are many members on A4A who will be able to answer any questions you may ask. Hope you enjoy being a member.

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:02:48 »
Hi  yekim

welcome to a4a , sorry about all your losses, fab sized garden , keep us posted on how your progressing :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 13:35:49 »
A real greenhouse will give you endless pleasure. Ours is over 30 years old & gives me pleasure every day. And 14x8 is a good size.

Altons are great.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 16:35:21 »
Welcome to the site yekim.

I've only a small GH (an 8x6ft Hexagon) but have a 3x4ft cold frame as well, which comes in very handy.

Probably don't need to suggest this, but don't abandon the toms, they might well send up new shoots.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 18:28:39 »
See if the toms shoot again, and try screwing the greenhouse down onto breeze blocks.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 19:48:35 »
I have 7 greenhouses, 2 of which are large and one of these is a top of the range "Robinsons", and they are all full most of the time. All of them where freebies, take down and take away, apart from the Robinsons which was already taken down. The only cost involved was time.
squashman

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 20:03:16 »
Scour away Yekim I was donated a dismantled 8x6' on Saturday... dismantled and with most of the glass free!!
Hope you enjoy the site. Keep the questions coming..  ;D

yekim

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 20:40:11 »
Okay some questions, but first, after lengthy discussions with my wife we have decided to go with either a 10ft * 14ft or 10 * 16ft, part of which will be for me to section off and heat to try some plants that i have always wanted like the Bird of Paradise for one.

The plot we have available to give over to growing our own is @ 30 * 35ft

Now questions:-
1. What would be the best use of space? I'm not looking for someone to plan my garden(although it would be nice) just ideas.  We enjoy all veg and most soft fruits.

2. I remember reading somewhere that using tepid water for seedlings is beneficial? does this carry any weight?

3. Would a 10ft * 3ft patch be enough for pots?

part of the above space must accommodate the greenhouse(for now).

4. Would there be and advantages to having a soil border in the greenhouse for say toms, melons, cucumbers etc?

Now to my plants after careful inspection in the cold light of day all i appear to have really lost is the trusses from my strawberry plants  :-[ but never mind theres always next season  :)

squashman, saddad i have looked at a lot of freebies, one even offered £20 to take it away and it was a big one, but unfortunately transport is a problem  :-\ having only a small hatchback...cant see Mr Plod being happy with 6ft of greenhouse frame hanging from the boot  :P

things like this!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170230597106&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Will post more questions as i go.

Many thanks for all advice and help not to mention a fantastic down to earth site  ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 21:18:37 by yekim »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 21:00:51 »
Welcome, Yekim!Lucky you, having your plot at home!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 21:49:29 »
Hi Yekim and welcome

Much envy - having the plot in the garden - although I might never get to work - wandering around drinking my first cup of tea ::)

Best use of space - well I think that is in the eye of the beholder.  I helped out a neighbour today, who is a bit poorly, so I did a bit of weeding and tidying in their garden.  It is smaller than yours and they have arranged it so that just slightly more than half, closest to the house is laid out like a usual garden, lawn and borders and then behind a fence covered in roses and clematis is the veg patch.  This is raised beds with paths in between - as they have become older, they have raised the height of the beds - now about 18-24" and they have a lean-to greenhouse at the far end.  I would also suggest looking in most veg books - the photos always seem to me to be more home plot than allotment in terms of layout.

I use tepid water to 'wake up' seeds such as peppers, chillis, sweetcorn, beans and peas and it usually does the trick.

10x3 for potatoes?  I should think so but earthing up could be a bit fiddly.  My neighbour has overcome that by planting short rows.....just depends how much you like earthing up ;)

Soil border - first year with a small polytunnel and would say YES.  I have four melons in a coldframe and one spare planted in the polytunnel border and this is the one that is romping away.

I would say experiment - it has taken me 3 years to find a layout that makes sense for me and the plants.

Enjoy
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 21:51:47 by SMP1704 »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal