Author Topic: Butterflies  (Read 2543 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Butterflies
« on: July 29, 2004, 12:57:25 »
I know nothing about butterflies, but the garden is jam packed with them at the moment, much to the joy of number one daughter.

There were several types on my budlia today, this one and another one, similar but with much more striking colours, almost like velevet eyes on its wings, but by the time I was ready to say 'cheese' it had fluttered by.

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
Re:Butterflies
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 13:18:29 »
Can't see the pic - but the one with the eyespots is almost certainly a peacock. There are only between 50 & 60 species of butterflies in the UK, and several are quite rare, but it's one of the groups it's possible to set out to see all of - like mammals, but unlike birds, beetles etc.
Sumer is a coming in....

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 13:21:29 »
peathingy - zapped again. Can I get away with peac0ck? If not, I'm referring to the males of the genus pavo. I'm sure you know the bird in question - metallic blue or green usually, makes a vile noise, has a big tail with eye spots (from which the butterfly takes its name) it can spread or drag behind it.
Sumer is a coming in....

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 13:27:16 »
EJ - Picture shows a Comma butterfly. I have several visiting my budlia.
Granny is still your best friend !

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 22:13:39 »
Thanks Gilgamesh and GS.  I knew what you were getting at Gilgamesh.  ;D  There were lots of different butterflies going about their business today.  Tomorrow, I shall try to take some more snaps for you to identify for me!
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 11:31:12 »
So is this a cabbage white?  

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 13:37:43 »
I still can't see your pics, but I can tell you the answer - NO.

There's no such species. There are Small Whites, Large Whites, and Green Veined Whites, but no Cabbage Whites. The Large white has two black spots on each wing, and a dense black wingtip to the forewing. Small White has a more greyish tip, Gree-veined has no spots or black tips. HTH.
Sumer is a coming in....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 16:37:57 »
Oh.  Spots on wings but no black tips.  Told you I know nothing about flutterbyes.  :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal