Author Topic: squirrels & sweetcorm  (Read 2050 times)

tosh

• Not So New ...
  • tosh
squirrels & sweetcorm
« on: July 27, 2004, 22:29:21 »
Help please ??? ???
My sweetcorn are maturing nicely but 2 have now been chopped by squirrels. Apparently its a problem on my allotments. They chop down the plants and take the whole thing to their nests - all 4ft plus.
String and plastic bags and CD looking like owl eyes have stopped the birds on the brassicas but must be an advertising hordings for the squirrels and sweetcorn.
Anyone any ideas - please before I lose the lot

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:squirrels & sweetcorm
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 23:39:24 »
Tosh, I may be just a cynical female but I can't imagine squirrels taking away the whole stalk - eating the cobs yes. Would it not be a two legged 'animal' who took your corns?  Hope I am wrong and very happy to stand corrected.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 23:39:57 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tosh

• Not So New ...
  • tosh
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 22:30:56 »
Squirrels!!! positive ID. The chew about 6 inches above the ground and seem to like the inner pith. My sweetcorn have been half chewed but definite sighting by others on the alot.
female synics - never

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 23:50:41 »
I stand corrected and hope I can swallow that slice of humble pie with my late night cuppa!  ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 10:39:10 »
Apparently male pee (it has to be male for the hormones) scares them off as they think it is wolf's.

If you fancy giving that one a go - let me know if it works! :D
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal