Author Topic: Petrol strimmers  (Read 23221 times)

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: Petrol strimmers
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:33 »
I shall be buying a bush cutter from Argos next week (reduced from 80 to 63  ;D )
I have a question, i have never owned a car so subsequently have never bought petrol  :o I am going to buy a petrol can and visit a petrol station, the thing i am worried about is over filling my petrol can as i won't be able to see how much is in it, please re assure me i won't  ;D ;D

Is there any chance i can buy the petrol already in a can and what kind of oil will i need ?

After a bit of googleing...

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-2T-alkylate-petrol

Not cheap though...

In the link supplied they talk about the petrol going off after about 30 days, will that will be a problem ?
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2008, 12:18:57 »
In the link supplied they talk about the petrol going off after about 30 days, will that will be a problem ?

No, it'll be fine.  Note that they say "starts going off".  If you leave petrol in an engine for months on end, some of the additives can separate out and "gum up" the carburettor, which stops the engine from running.  That's why it's best to empty the fuel tank at the end of the season.  In fact, best of all is to tip most of the fuel into a can, and then start the machine and run the engine until it runs out of fuel.  Just remember that it'll need a bit of repriming when you refill it the following spring.

But there's no problem in leaving petrol in a strimmer or mower for a month or two.  These aren't exactly high precision racing engines, and most of us get away with leaving fuel in the tank of mowers and rotavators even over the winter.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2008, 13:51:34 »
Thanks for that, i am now re-assured  :)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 18:54:11 »
I now own the bush cutter and will be getting the petrol tomorrow, in the instructions it says to buy "regular grade unleaded petrol" now does petrol still come in stars e.g. four star ? And is that what i should buy 4 star unleaded ?
Another question, in the box is a small bottle of unbranded oil should i use that or go and buy a better make ?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 18:58:03 »
No,you just buy unleaded,green colour at the garage.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 18:59:46 »
Any petrol any oil, now stop stalling and go and strim that allotment ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 19:01:54 »
Legend,
          it seems you have a two stroke engine, green pipe at the pumps for your petrol, you should had a touch of two stroke oil to the fuel I think it could be a twenty mix, but check the label  ;)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2008, 19:49:44 »
Thanks for the replies folks  :)
Mr. Smith it is a forty mix (40:1)
I was looking forward to strimming but it has been raining since i bought it  ::)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2008, 20:12:01 »
I have a Ryobi 30cc petrol strimmer which I got for my birthday present last year. I am guilty, however, of not emptying out the fuel which has now been in since about July.
With quite a bit of trepidation yesterday I got it out strained the fuel through and old pair of tights into a glass jar.....examined it and poured it back in....then attempted to start my machine. It didn't start first pull mainly because I've lost the knack more than the machine's fault. On about the 6 pull it roared into life and sounded fine.....so I'm quite impressed and my long grass will soon be short.
My only problem is I haven't had to change the reel yet and I have no idea how to do it.

Legendaryone...Just remember you have to buy at least 2 litres as they have a minimum sale amount.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2008, 21:22:50 »
Legendaryone...Just remember you have to buy at least 2 litres as they have a minimum sale amount.

I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know  :)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2008, 05:14:44 »
I didn`t know that either,  ???

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2008, 07:48:24 »
Have just returned form the petrol station and now own just over two litres of petrol  ;D
It was a pretty harmless transaction and speaking to the attendant he said there was no minimum amount you had to purchase, this was at a Texaco station it might be different elsewhere.
Thanks for all the helpful advice i will let you all know how i get on  :)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2008, 17:12:12 »
I've been able to get to grips with it this afternoon but am having a problem, i can get it started but when ever i move the choke back the engine stops  :(
I have the throttle in and the choke down as per instructions i get it started and i am supposed to immediately move the choke back, well that doesn't work, so i try again and and release the throttle and it idles nicely, but moving the choke back again switched the engine off, I can nearly get the choke into the right postion if i move it slowly.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should try next ?

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2008, 06:12:16 »
Hi Legendry one, well done with the petrol pump.  ;D

I meant to mention that walking with a full can of petrol can get heavy and awkward after a while.

Your strimmer sounds more complicated than mine, but have you tried not putting the choke back and running it full throttle.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2008, 07:43:14 »
Hi Col, thanks for your reply, i can get it to run on full throttle but i still cannot get it to carry on running when i move the choke back, does it matter if the choke does not go back all the way ?
My strimmer only has the choke and throttle so it is not complicated, the only thing that confuses me is the instructions do not make it very clear for to tell whether the choke is on or off  :(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:50:10 by legendaryone »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2008, 09:16:03 »
It sounds as if it is starting without the choke, which it will in warmer weather. Then you are choking when it you move the choke lever.

The choke makes the petrol/air mixture richer. ie more petrol, less air. If your machine is set to run rich ie large petrol jet, you will hardy ever need the choke. Which does as it says, stops the engine breathing.

I have a hedge cutter with a two stroke engine. Off/on switch is not marked, choke is not marked, so I stuck my own little reminders on. Also it will only run smoothly on half choke.  They are tiny little engines with one piston so they are all a little temperamental.

Also another tip to save the clutch is strim at full throttle, don't be scared of it. As they say in the biker world 'Ride it like you stole it'

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2008, 09:37:12 »
Thanks Ace for your reply, what you say does make sense, i have done a bit of reading on the web about chokes so kinda understand them and now with your comments i feel more comfortable in running it.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2008, 21:34:36 »
Well had my first go with it today and i am very impressed had it running for an hour with no problems and used just over half a tank of petroil.
Got covered head to toe in green sap which doesn't taste very nice either  ;D
Hopefully i didn't kill any of my frogs as i did try to make sure they had plenty of warning i was coming. Going back tomorrow with the blade on to tackle the brambles then will have to start digging it  :)

Just want to say thanks again for everyones advice it is much appreciated  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal