Author Topic: Petrol strimmers  (Read 23233 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Petrol strimmers
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 16:23:56 »
I reckon my old stihl is over 10 years old, I cannot see any model numbers on it but I know when I ordered it I wanted a 50cc engine. The rep. ordered me one  but rang me later to say they did not do a 50 but he had a 70cc on trial I could have for a couple of hundred quid. It is a kawasaki engine and goes through clutches quite quick. (I have a boxful in hand) It seems to weigh a ton with a double shoulder harness to hold it on. Once it is balanced and adjusted to suit me I can go all day with it.

I know this is a professional machine compared with the one the thread is about. But if mine ain't working I ain't earning.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 18:18:25 »
They don't make them like that anymore though
the most powerful Stihl brushcutters you can get now are either:

The FS130 already mentioned or

Stihl FR450 Backpack Brushcutter:
Brake Horse Power : 2.9 
Engine CC : 44.3 cc
Power Output : 2.1 kW
Weight : 10.9 kg

or the most powerful clearing saw is:

Stihl FS 550 Clearing Saw:
Engine CC : 56.5 cc (3.45 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 2.8 kW (3.75 bhp.)
WEIGHT 9.8 kg
FUEL CAPACITY 750 cc (25.4 oz.)

The latest sales technique seems to be making them very light & easy enough for a child to start as shown in the easy2start video on the stihl website. Not a good idea in my opinion though as if you can't even start a strimmer or chainsaw then you are probably not fit enough to use it safely.
http://www.stihlusa.net/information/info_lit_video.html
Husqvarna are doing the same thing too. Mcculloch tools used to be worthwhile but since the original McCulloch ceased operation in 1999. Someone bought up the tooling and the North American rights to the name and Electrolux bought the eastern hemisphere rights to the name and they are making a totally different line of saws/strimmers etc... with the McCulloch name out of Italy neither of the current versions of mcculloch are worth buying.
Most tools seem to be disposable these days they die the second the warranty expires & servicing them can be more expensive than buying a new one.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 19:35:02 »
it is heavy and hard to keep going for long.

Now whenever the subject of extra effort comes up you are in the middle stating your piece. On Pathways you had to have them, (pathways are just a way out of digging the whole allotment) We won't go in to double digging. Raised beds because you gave up on traditional ways of cultivation. Now the cheapie ladies model strimmer is too heavy.

Come on now you can tell us, most of us won't hold it against you.Perhaps you are too old to cope. But admit it now.

You are workshy. ;)

STANDBACK EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!INCOMING.

TAXI!

Darling boy,thank you for your sweet message.How lucky I am Visiting IOW this summer to vist my friends .

I can then demonstrate my much improved technique with the spear and jackson.

The one method I got really good at takes much skill to be really accurate.I think with much practise between now and then my aim will be perfect.This move actually has a name only appreciated in Horticultural circles.Em,whats it called now?Oh I remember it is called.........stuffing it up your jacksie.......not sure of correct spelling but I am sure you know what I mean..........Roll on summer

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2008, 20:06:15 »
I'll come and meet the ferry, just let me know which one you will be on.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2008, 20:27:43 »
Hmmmm,it would take more than a sub to stop me sweetie,oh yes as you mentioned age,I remember you said you left the navy 40 years ago.

You must surely be a national monument or a tourist attraction at least :)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 21:18:22 »
Hmmmm,it would take more than a sub to stop me sweetie,oh yes as you mentioned age,I remember you said you left the navy 40 years ago.

You must surely be a national monument or a tourist attraction at least :)

ooooh betula!!! You are funny!!!  ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 20:41:52 »
Rofl - you lot are nuts!

Quick update - I bought one and now it's flippin raining!!!!   >:(
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 23:03:32 »
I bought a Challenge battery strimmer yesterday, I had it on charge all night took it to the allotment today where it gave ne 12 minutes of fun before the battery  gave up.  ???

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 00:20:10 »
It might need a couple of charges before it gets to proper power. Is it the one from argos for £24? if so it has the same rated batteries as my Ryobi

I think a few people are going to get bitten by the old adage "Buy cheap, buy twice"

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2008, 00:28:40 »
Is it the one from argos for £24? if

It is from Aggos but I paid £19.95 for it, I was thinking that it may work better after a few charges.

Ant

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 00:31:43 »
NiCads tend to take a few full charge/discharge cycles to get to full power. They used to suffer from a thing called memory effect, which meant if you didn't fully discharge the battery from new it would only ever reach a lower capacity. Luckily they don't suffer from that so badly anymore.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 19:13:26 »
It's fab. I love it.  It is heavy, my arm hurts big time!  And it's a sod to start when it's cold, but all in all I'm very pleased with it, most of the jungle has now been strimmed to within an inch of its life and the rest is getting it tomorrow!!!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2008, 10:53:27 »
Yay, well done Posie, glad you like it!
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 13:12:09 »
It's fab. I love it.  It is heavy, my arm hurts big time!  And it's a sod to start when it's cold, but all in all I'm very pleased with it, most of the jungle has now been strimmed to within an inch of its life and the rest is getting it tomorrow!!!

Are you priming it enough ? after 10 or 12 squirts mine starts after 2 or 3 pulls. Mess about with the strap and how you wear it so that it takes all the weight most of the time.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2008, 14:59:35 »
I shall be buying a bush cutter from Argos next week (reduced from 80 to 63  ;D )
I have a question, i have never owned a car so subsequently have never bought petrol  :o I am going to buy a petrol can and visit a petrol station, the thing i am worried about is over filling my petrol can as i won't be able to see how much is in it, please re assure me i won't  ;D ;D

Is there any chance i can buy the petrol already in a can and what kind of oil will i need ?
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2008, 17:39:48 »
Hi all, Hi Legendary one,  :)

As a non-driver I found myself in the same dilemma. This is something people are supposed to know by magic, car drivers may be unsympathetic to your worries but maybe after reading this those on this forum may help a person in distress.

When you take your petrol can, say its five litres or something just plan to buy three litres then you have a space to allow for error.

The nozzle the petrol comes out of only lets the petrol out when you pull in the trigger on the pistol grip and the amount coming out is shown on the display on the pump in litres. It also has a float switch that should turn off the flow when your can is full - I have never found this to work.

Then you take your petrol can into the kiosk to pay, there you can buy chocolate as a reward for learning a new skill.

The people serving at the petrol may be surly and disinterested in you and your achievement, but thats their problem.

Read your instructions but I imagine you will need diesil unleaded from a petrol station and two stroke oil in a green bottle from B&Q, Homebase etc. (Incidentally my local Homebase had a starter kit of petrol can, mixer bottle, funnel, oil etc)
You have to mix these in precise proportions in a mixer bottle that has little lines to help you. If you have too much oil your strimmer may smoke dramatically and if you have too much petrol it may vibrate.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on, Col

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 19:56:06 »
Hi Columbus, thanks for your reply, it as put my mind at ease, I've seen cars being filled up loads of times but have never paid to much attention. I will definitely reward myself with a choccy bar for my achievement :D
Thanks again :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2008, 20:20:27 »
Well I've managed to get lottie from this.....

to this, just over the weekend, so I think we can safely say that it's already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned!

Ps - Am I a proper allotmenter now that I have bean canes n everything?!  ;D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2008, 21:17:18 »
I shall be buying a bush cutter from Argos next week (reduced from 80 to 63  ;D )
I have a question, i have never owned a car so subsequently have never bought petrol  :o I am going to buy a petrol can and visit a petrol station, the thing i am worried about is over filling my petrol can as i won't be able to see how much is in it, please re assure me i won't  ;D ;D

Is there any chance i can buy the petrol already in a can and what kind of oil will i need ?

After a bit of googleing...

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-2T-alkylate-petrol

Not cheap though...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2008, 21:48:59 »

Glad it went well posie. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal