Author Topic: Wildlife pond - what plants to get please?  (Read 2453 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Wildlife pond - what plants to get please?
« on: April 27, 2008, 14:06:39 »
Hi _ I have created a small pond on my allotment - about 3-4 feet long and 3 wide with a deep bit (2-3 feet approx) and a shallow end. I have put stones in the shallow end and tree branches nearby for creatures (!)
The pond is in sun and until the plants around it grow a bit, doesnt really have any shade so I know I need to have something to shade it.
Could anyone recommend any plants for this and/or that are particularly good for wildlife? I fancy some miniature waterlily and a tall plant that will grow out of the water - but they would need to be small. Thanks for any help with this.
Gwynleg

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Wildlife pond - what plants to get please?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 22:35:33 »
Instead of a small water lily, you might consider frog bit:

I think the lilies all grow quite big.

Worth a look is this site:
http://www.naturescape.co.uk/acatalog/Pond_marsh.html

Of the lilies the fringed water lily (I don't think this is a true water lily) has leaves 8cm across:

The yellow lily has leaves 40cm across and the white 30cm so they are quite large.

There is a dwarf white:

I don't know how big it is, but it is non-native if that is important to you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 22:41:11 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 00:06:13 »
Some of those mini lilies will grow in a bucket. Look for one with pygmaea in the name. Of other plants, number one for me is caltha palustris (marsh marigold), native, pretty flowers in spring and not invasive. Blue/purple iris (laevigata) is good, the native yellow iris is nice but big and rampant. Water forgetmenot (myosotis) is good round the edges, it does go a bit mad but it's easy to thin out. For oxygenating plants hornwort is good, why people have that canadian pond weed is beyond me. Don't put parrot's feather in, it's a bad one.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 00:55:50 »
Steer clear of water hyacinth- it spreads like crazy though easy to pull out. Not winter hardy here which is good.

I like native water lilies since they shade the water and help prevent algae formation. Also the leaves are easy to clip off if you think they are getting too rangy. The frogs like sitting on them to have their picture taken.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 19:22:25 »
Thanks for this advice from everyone - I will take it to my nearest pond stockest and see whats there. In the meantime I've got worried I shouldnt have a pond at all on my allotment ...I am going to put things round to stop kids going near it. Oh dear will have to think about it but am so thrilled to have a pond!!

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:50:55 »
Here's a link to a good website suggesting what to grow and what not to grow.

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/assets/saving-species/saving-species-publications/Pond-Alert--Scotland-2006.pdf

It is written for Scotland but I can't see there being any problems!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal