Author Topic: Whats wrong with my hens (see Photos)  (Read 7741 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Whats wrong with my hens (see Photos)
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 22:16:45 »
ACV is very good for hens, I give mine first week in each month, so I remember.
below is what is in it, the cloudy sort from large pet shops. used for dogs horses etc.

Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (acv) is known as a general pick me up for chickens. It is often used to reduce stress during moulting and also when adding new stock to the flock. It also helps to maintain the health of their feathers.
Apple Cider Vinegar provides enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulphur, chlorine, phosphorous, iron, silicon and other trace elements. The vitamins contained in Apple Cider Vinegar are bioflavonoid (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2 and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid and pectin and other powerful nutrients. ~ostlerscidermill.co.uk

It is given at the rate of 2% i.e. 20mls per 1 litre of water in a plastic drinker (as it will corrode the galvanised types).
In the case of chicks only give it at the rate of 1% ~ 10mls per litre of water ~ don't forget the pebbles or marbles to prevent the chicks drowing themselves in the water!

The best sort to buy is the cloudy type usually found in equestrian supply places not the more refined type that you get in supermarkets

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 00:43:20 »
An update to the hen saga: They have been having Apple Cider Vinegar added to their water daily now for over a month. There is a constant supply of Oyster shell grit available to them now. Both these products were new to me as this is the first infestation / problem I have had with hens. The new nest boxes are made of a fibreglass type plastic - not wood. I went back to wood shavings and scrapped the straw.

Feathers seem to be starting to grow back. They look like baby chicken feathers at the moment. Very small and fluffy. Egg production has increased again to 10-11 daily from my 12 hens.

The hens are 1 year old at present so hopefully should lay for another 4 years or so. 6x Blackrock & 6x White Leghorns. Fingers crossed....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

KimT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 18:25:13 »
That is such good news.
Love my hens and all that's henny!
www.thepoultrygarden.com

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 13:01:31 »
Kt one of our hens laid for 8 years!  I used to rub vaseline regularly on the legs of the chooks to stop red mites, the mites can get under the scales of their legs which is horrible to see.  don't forget to give them a dust bath, or a bag of sand into a hole you've dug, this will also help Enjoy your girls!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 13:06:17 by tilts »
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal